Locking Differential?

MThuntr

Are locking differentials necessary in a hunting rig? Thoughts from guys that don't have locking differentials?

My Tacoma has an electronic rear locker (only available in 4 Low) that I've used only for the sake that I've had it available. My previous rig had the optional automatic locking differential. We know BigFin says yes and chooses his rigs with that in mind. He also gets himself in some spots that most probably would avoid.

My disappointment with my Tacoma has me looking at other trucks. Most trucks I've looked at don't have locking differentials and those that do are becoming exceedingly expensive because you have to buy the fancy package to get it.

So is not having a locking differential a deal breaker?

Not a deal breaker, but they are nice to have, they make 4 wheel drive great again.

Something to consider is that if you have an auto LSD or similar you can ride the break slightly to put resistance on the wheel preventing it from spinning and losing drive. I've been doing this in my Tundra, granted I've only tried it once, I'm not the best test sample. But, it was the advice of my buddy who is a 4wd geek.

They aren't too bad to have someone put in after either. They run about $1000 plus install.

Are locking differentials necessary in a hunting rig? Thoughts from guys that don't have locking differentials?

My Tacoma has an electronic rear locker (only available in 4 Low) that I've used only for the sake that I've had it available. My previous rig had the optional automatic locking differential. We know BigFin says yes and chooses his rigs with that in mind. He also gets himself in some spots that most probably would avoid.

My disappointment with my Tacoma has me looking at other trucks. Most trucks I've looked at don't have locking differentials and those that do are becoming exceedingly expensive because you have to buy the fancy package to get it.

So is not having a locking differential a deal breaker?

I don't have any experience with lockers, but what kind of trouble have you had with your Tacoma? I'm needing a new truck in a year or 2 and was thinking about a TRD Pro, depending on how the new Ford Ranger turns out.

I cannot imagine not having one.. And a way to turn traction control completely off. The TC feature is more of a deal breaker than the locker IMHO.

I don't have any experience with lockers, but what kind of trouble have you had with your Tacoma? I'm needing a new truck in a year or 2 and was thinking about a TRD Pro, depending on how the new Ford Ranger turns out.

constant shifting that now results in shifting hesitation (Toyota claims a computer update fixed this), when climbing hills on mtn roads transmission will not downshift causing the engine to lug out (manually downshifting does resolve) and when it does you over accelerate, squeaky suspension as a result of dust in the leaf spring (no permanent fix), moonroof air leak from poor seal (has yet to leak water, no permanent fix), computer failure within first six months (replaced under warranty), engine knocking/valve noise (unknown cause and running premium gas doesn't help), engaging/disengaging rear locker can take several minutes for some reason, when parking or waiting in drive-thru line the truck will rev when braking causing the truck to lunge forward. I also average about 16 mpg. In the summer I can get 18-19 (70mph or slower) if I stay off the interstate but the second I'm into a headwind I'm down to 15mpg.

I ordered a 2017 F150 XLT, if you get the towing package for about $750 after discount it comes with a selectable locking rear diff. My jeep has just about as many problems as your Toyota and I looked at them all. I have owned Chevy, Jeep, and Dodge. I am excited about this new F150 for a couple reasons. The Aluminum body so salt is no longer my nemesis, Electric locking rear differential ( I installed them front and rear on my Jeep and love them), and the rear floor area on the super crew is the largest and flat so I can fit my dog crate there in bad weather. That being said it was hard to swallow the price tag but after all the rebates it was very comparable to all the top truck manufactures.

So is it necessary...no, will you be eternally grateful you have it when you need it, Absolutely.

Last edited:
What year is you Tacoma? I tried to post previously so sorry if this turns into a double post. I will be getting a new truck at the end of the month and I am trying to decide between the new Tacoma and a new Tundra.

I just went through a lengthy process of deciding which truck to buy. I have driven a Titan since 2004. I chose the 2017 gas Nissan Titan (non-XD) in the Pro4X (off road) and utility and towing package. It comes with the locking differential in addition to other features that are useful for western big game hunting. Not cheap but you should be able to get one new for under 40K. You have probably already read the "Sell me a truck" thread but it contains a lot of useful information on what to consider.

I have read that one. I previously had a Tundra and an FJ and loved both of them. I want to Tacoma because I think it might ride better off road but think the tundra might be a better choice.

I cannot imagine not having one.. And a way to turn traction control completely off. The TC feature is more of a deal breaker than the locker IMHO.

^^^I agree with the need to be able to shut of traction control!

You have probably already read the "Sell me a truck" thread but it contains a lot of useful information on what to consider.

Read and contributed. I just skimmed over lunch and found a discussion on locking differentials...seems to be worth the hassle of finding a truck with it. Hopefully the new generation of Tundras (whenever they are released) has a locking differential then it might be worth looking at.

utah40elk it's a 2016 (manufactured in the first few production months of the new generation).

I won't buy a truck without the locking diff. That is one of the options I require. Got stuck once many years ago (read in the 80's) because I didn't have one and swore from that point on I would have it.

Now when I get stuck, I do it right.

I would hope they have made the needed upgrades but...you never know for sure. I have a hunting buddy with a new Racoma and he loves it. He is in Virginia so...sea level and small hills.

constant shifting that now results in shifting hesitation (Toyota claims a computer update fixed this), when climbing hills on mtn roads transmission will not downshift causing the engine to lug out (manually downshifting does resolve) and when it does you over accelerate, squeaky suspension as a result of dust in the leaf spring (no permanent fix), moonroof air leak from poor seal (has yet to leak water, no permanent fix), computer failure within first six months (replaced under warranty), engine knocking/valve noise (unknown cause and running premium gas doesn't help), engaging/disengaging rear locker can take several minutes for some reason, when parking or waiting in drive-thru line the truck will rev when braking causing the truck to lunge forward. I also average about 16 mpg. In the summer I can get 18-19 (70mph or slower) if I stay off the interstate but the second I'm into a headwind I'm down to 15mpg.

I feel your pain! I have a 16 TRD Offroad that I'm getting rid of as well for basically everything you described up above. I have used the rear diff lock on a handful of occassions, and can say that it got me out of some situations that I either was or surely would've been stuck in. I'm actually looking at 100 series Land Cruisers and 1gen Tundra's for the specific reason of factory lockers. Good luck on your quest!

I would slap an Aussie locker in the front and go wherever you need. You arent rock crawling from the sound of it just need the traction from all four pulling. Aussie is a simple install lunchbox locker. Don't run one in the rear but up front they are hard to beat for simplicity and performance in a mild light vehicle. I've had one in the front of my Jeep since 08 running 35x15.5 TSL SXTs grooved. I've wheeled that rig all over the south east.

My 2015 f150 has the electronic locking rear. In stock form on deep mud, with good tread it outperforms my 2006 with a 6 in lift and 37" tires but limited slip diffs..

The ability to turn traction control off can't be over stressed.
A friends f~150 about left us stranded over it.

The traction control can be completely disabled there are several videos on YouTube showing how to do it. I would say it's more for emergency only though.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back