Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Trekking Poles

Quickdraw509

Hey Guys,
Im thinking about purchasing a pair of trekking poles for a late elk hunt coming up in AZ. I plan on walking a fair amount to get away from road hunters.

Im 28 and in shape but still can feel tired after a whole day hunting and was wondering if anyone has used these to try to increase stamina? I am also wondering if anyone has had experience with any cheaper alternatives to Lekki or Black Diamond. For example I am looking at these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IC7XZ68/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AHE2WTMWT10JD

Thanks!

That looks like good deal to me. Wish I had starting using trekkers a decade and a half sooner.

If you are Military or LEO, Leopold sells carbon fiber ones thru that program. 170592 is the part number, it was a good deal.

They are worth every penny. You will know the difference immediately and your legs will thank you.

I use poles. Helps keep the core from fatiguing as the pole is another anchor point on uneven terrain. Not much benefit on the flat stuff though if have a heavy backpack is nice to lean over onto the pole centered under chest and catch a break for a bit. The posts also can help hold up a tarp if is nice weather and are bivvy camping. I use the poles to move prickly pear and agave out of the way when am in thick stuff where otherwise would be weaving to and fro through the jabby stuff. Also works great to move snakes off the trail.

I like the carbon fiber type. The telescoping type are nice though the folding style are okay if know the height you need. Keep the "v" adapter for the top of one pole and is a decent shooting stick.

I use the plain telescoping black diamonds and they meet my needs fine. If I were to upgrade it would be the leki corklights. I cross mine and join them with a nite ize rubber twist tie to make a pair of shooting sticks. They work really well for that and are plenty strong for me.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back