Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

And the Survey Says .......

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
TRCP commissioned a Republican polling firm, Public Opinion Strategies, to conduct new poll/study on public land, conservation, funding, infrastructure, and other topics we regularly discuss on this forum.

The results were remarkably consistent along all party lines and mirroring those who claim no R/D affiliation. And leads one to question; "Why politicians and policy leaders want to make public lands, clean air, clean water, and conservation partisan in any manner?"

The poll was conducted in early May and has a confidence level of +/- 3.5%. Of those polled, 37% represented as Republicans, 36% as Democrats, and the remainder as Independent or unaffiliated.

Top result for me is - "97% AGREE THAT PROTECTING AND CONSERVING PUBLIC LANDS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS IS IMPORTANT." With more than 70% in both parties stating public lands are VERY IMPORTANT, not just important.

Here is a one-page summary of the survey highlights - http://www.trcp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Hi_Results.pdf

Here are some "PUBLIC LAND" highlights for those not wanting to read the entire poll.

TRCP Public lands.jpg

Here is the one-page summary on funding - http://www.trcp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Hi_Funding.pdf

Here is the one-page summary on public land and conservation infrastructure - http://www.trcp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Hi_Infrastructure.pdf

Here is a link to all 38 pages of this poll - http://www.trcp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/17144-TRCP-Presentation-d4-1.pdf

If anyone in our resident "partisans" drives this thread in the ditch you will be banned.

Looks like that should be sent out to our so called leaders who say they listen to what the people in the west "want."

Very interesting information Randy! Not to many issues of the day have that level of consent across the partisan spectrum. Could be a good start to sending a mandate to DC as far as what the people expect on this issue.

Looks like that should be sent out to our so called leaders who say they listen to what the people in the west "want."
Don't forget a whole lot of the folks not in the "west" want the same thing...

Last edited:
1_pointer, I fully understand, being in Idaho I just get the pleasure of Raul Labrador exercising his jaw! This new info is enpowering in fighting back.

Interesting that only 18% of the respondents where from the western geographic location. The overwhelming support of conservation and public land access is great to see.

Very interesting information Randy! Not to many issues of the day have that level of consent across the partisan spectrum. Could be a good start to sending a mandate to DC as far as what the people expect on this issue.

Don't forget a whole lot of the folks not in the "west" want the same thing...

Very good point. The survey sample had 30% of respondents from the "South," 19% from the "East," 18% from the inter-mountain West, and the rest from other areas of the country. Most would expect this high approval to be weighted more as an inter-mountain bias, but the poll shows it is not geographically dependent among hunters and anglers.

I would do just that, when engaging with them. They should recognize the polling firm and that will give it a pretty high level of credible acceptance.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I'd wager though, that to many of the 97% who agree that protecting and conserving public lands for future generations is important, that means getting federal lands out of the hands of the feds and giving them to the states. Even though state lands aren't public lands, my experience is most people don't discern the two.

It's not necessarily the end result people disagree on, it's the how. I do think that largely because of the efforts of folks like Randy, BHA, RMEF, etc, public opinions on such things regardless of political bent certainly seem to be weighted in favor of keeping public lands public in the historical sense. They've made a big impact to awareness.

Best news of the week. It's easy to believe we're more divided. Glad to know that's not always true.

I haven't went thru this in its entirety but I will, then make a more informed comment. As Nameless Range stated, it's not the end result people disagree on it's the how; I totally agree. You will never get anyone for instance to say they support dirty air or water, however we all know certain policies or lack Thereof would result in such.

It's odd to me how all of these high percentages of people support public lands so much, yet we lose so much of it every single year. Politicians saying one thing, and doing another, perhaps?

So the public land transfer "movement" comes down to the will of the voting public vs the deep pockets behind the Republican national platform. Data says most Republicans surveyed disagree w the party line on PLT. There is a bipartisan common interest, waiting to be addressed. Think I'll share this w Sen. Corey Gardiner and some CO members of the house of Reps. Big Fin for Secretary of the Interior!

I am proud to be TRCP.

This was a survey of hunters/anglers (not general public), so I'm not as surprised that there was consensus.

56% fished on private water?!?! I have never heard of private water. Can someone explain this to me?

I'm surprised 73% supported ESA. Personally, I think it was a good idea, but it's implementation has been rough, ie wolves.

Awesome information. Another great talking point for the next phone call I make to my congresswoman.

Excellent info! Thanks for sharing I think I will share this with my senators and congressmen. Glad to see that there are people on both sides that feel the same way about public lands hopefully this will get some attention.

56% fished on private water?!?! I have never heard of private water. Can someone explain this to me?

Farm ponds or lakes, ponds built on private property by the owner, etc. Most of my fishing as a kid was in private farm ponds.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back