And the Survey Says .......

56% fished on private water?!?! I have never heard of private water. Can someone explain this to me?

Private waters aren't as common out west as it is in the east. Over here there are a lot of private watershed lakes. Also in Louisiana, a very large portion of the coastal marsh is private. Canals are gated and access is restricted to the landowners or lessees.

I would wager that R's and D's agree on many macro issues such as those in the poll, or on broader social issues for that matter.....it's the partisans on either end of the political bell curve that dominate the headlines and seek to divide and conquer. When the majority of us in the middle band together we can accomplish great things. We have seen this in action on conservation issues across the country, including MN where many conservative outdoorsman and women find themselves agreeing with a DFL governor on issues pertaining to the BWCA and clean water. Keep up the good work Randy and thanks for the info. I think it will get a politicians attention given the source and overwhelming support for public lands across both parties.

This was a survey of hunters/anglers (not general public), so I'm not as surprised that there was consensus.

56% fished on private water?!?! I have never heard of private water. Can someone explain this to me?

I'm surprised 73% supported ESA. Personally, I think it was a good idea, but it's implementation has been rough, ie wolves.

I would consider a municipality(water district)owned lake a private water scenario. Seems there were a few of those in SoCal.

Private waters aren't as common out west as it is in the east. Over here there are a lot of private watershed lakes. Also in Louisiana, a very large portion of the coastal marsh is private. Canals are gated and access is restricted to the landowners or lessees.

I'd say 50% of all farms in my area have their own ponds to either water cattle or can be used in the event of a fire. When i was married we lived on a 17 acre lake that was owned by the 12 houses that surrounded it, private as well.

I sent this info off in an email to my congressman who sits on the Federal Lands Subcommittee. I doubt that I will get anything other than lip service in response, but one can always hope.

This was a survey of hunters/anglers (not general public), so I'm not as surprised that there was consensus.

I'm surprised 73% supported ESA. Personally, I think it was a good idea, but it's implementation has been rough, ie wolves.

I was reading the 1 page summary linked by Randy and re-reading back through replies. Isn't the biggest contributing factor to the high percentages what COEngineer mentioned?

I was reading the 1 page summary linked by Randy and re-reading back through replies. Isn't the biggest contributing factor to the high percentages what COEngineer mentioned?

Yes, this was specifically done to determine if the evidence supports what many intuitively felt; that hunters and anglers are mostly on the same page, no matter with party they identify with and even if they are non-affiliated. That is why it was a survey of hunters and anglers, not the general public. Some want to leverage and bifurcate our community to make it seem that hunters and anglers are R/D more than the they are conservation-minded. The poll shows that would be incorrect.

Just like healthcare, with public lands it is the 'how' that people disagree on.
You'll struggle to find a single person that believes that someone should just die. Yet you will find plenty of people that want the system fully socialized, plenty that want it fully privatized and plenty that believe in a bastardized combination.

Yes, this was specifically done to determine if the evidence supports what many intuitively felt; that hunters and anglers are mostly on the same page, no matter with party they identify with and even if they are non-affiliated. That is why it was a survey of hunters and anglers, not the general public. Some want to leverage and bifurcate our community to make it seem that hunters and anglers are R/D more than the they are conservation-minded. The poll shows that would be incorrect.

Good point then. Like MTGomer said though, I believe the division comes on the "how".

Good point then. Like MTGomer said though, I believe the division comes on the "how".
I don't disagree that "how" is a sticking point. IMO/E it's easier to deal with different opinions on "how" than if you are dealing with a difference of opinion on "goals". Folks are more apt to compromise and negotiate on means to a shared goal than they are to different goals.

Thanks for sharing, Randy. Useful and important info for all sportsmen and decision-makers to see/hear. Are you planning on sharing on your other social media channels as well?

I would wager that R's and D's agree on many macro issues such as those in the poll, or on broader social issues for that matter.....it's the partisans on either end of the political bell curve that dominate the headlines and seek to divide and conquer. When the majority of us in the middle band together we can accomplish great things. We have seen this in action on conservation issues across the country, including MN where many conservative outdoorsman and women find themselves agreeing with a DFL governor on issues pertaining to the BWCA and clean water. Keep up the good work Randy and thanks for the info. I think it will get a politicians attention given the source and overwhelming support for public lands across both parties.

Agree ^^^

Also fits in with Zack and MtGomer's comments. It is and it has always been the, "how". It's no surprise the survey says the vast majority of outdoor enthusiasts want to keep public lands - public unfortunately it's the extremists on either end of the partisan world that feather their clutch a little too often playing the, "you're either on our side or else" content...

So the public land transfer "movement" comes down to the will of the voting public vs the deep pockets behind the Republican national platform. Data says most Republicans surveyed disagree w the party line on PLT. There is a bipartisan common interest, waiting to be addressed. Think I'll share this w Sen. Corey Gardiner and some CO members of the house of Reps. Big Fin for Secretary of the Interior!

I am proud to be TRCP.

Most Alaskan politicians want to see the land and fish/game management transfer to the state (Murkowski, Young, Sullivan).

There is a "anti-feds" "states rights" sentiment among many conservative politicians.
http://https://www.adn.com/politics/2017/02/16/u-s-house-passes-rep-don-youngs-bill-to-repeal-alaska-wildlife-management-regulation/

What is TRCP?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back