Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Idaho Unit 18 Archery Elk

TheWanderer

I just found out I was lucky enough to draw a tag and I'll be headed to Idaho this September. I've been out to CO the last two years and struck out so I'll still be looking to shoot any legal bull and get my first elk.

If anyone has any particular advice about this unit like terrain, access, etc it would be greatly appreciated as I've never been here and I can't get there from Delaware before the season starts to scout. I'd be more than happy to trade elk meat with any local hunt talk member who might be able to help me avoid any big pitfall in this unit as I look for my first elk. I could also trade advice about flounder fishing, crabbing, and the offshore fishing bite (tuna are hot now) if anyone has plans to visit the east coast.

My main advice is to not assume trails shown on maps in that unit actually exist. I had a tag there a few years ago and a couple of the trails I had found on maps and was counting on to get deeper into the unit were gone. Lack of maintenance budget, I presume. I found the sign for one, but nothing but overgrown brush in all directions.

Access points can be crowded. Lots of cattle in some areas too. Steep, beautiful country. Bring a good camera.

I hunted unit 18 with rifle last year. It is very steep!!!! Be in the very best physical shape you can be, I also took mtn ops ascent and I think it helped. If you have any questions feel free to p.m. me. I saw a lot of elk and several large bulls ended up with a decent 6*6. I was there in October so they might be higher in September but I think the highest peak in there is 9500 but not 100% sure. Good luck, it's beautiful can't wait to get back.

I know quite abit about the unit. Be in shape! this unit holds some of biggest nastiest country in the lower 48. Near 10,000 at top straight down to snake river around 1,600' . Lots of roads to access the mountains. There are some areas that are not bad at all to hunt or you can really get away. I know of tons of places that hold bulls. Pm if u want info

Better get yourself in shape that is some big country, it can be like a sheep hunt might wanna look into a packer or someone to bring out your meat just because some of the places you can kill a bull can be pretty nasty.

If you don't have a gym membership, I would get one that has a stairclimber in it and I would use it every day until you can climb 2,000 ft on it without being sore the next day. See you on the mountain!

Sounds like I need to step up the step ups. In pretty good shape and will be working harder, but hard to simulate elevation. Got started a few weeks ago with some ruck training and am in the gym 2-3 days a week. We're 32 and 33 and willing to work to get our first bulls.

We plan on getting in a few miles in. Unfortunately my friend is insanely allergic to horses so a horseback hunt will never be an option. Contacted a couple places about llama rental but they're booked. Have contacted one outfitter about meat packing services and he quoted $1000 per elk. Anyone have an opinion on that price? Or know of a reputable packer they recommend? Or know if you have to be a licensed guide to perform this activity (you do in CO - I was 4 miles deep in the San Juans a couple years ago)?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1c0e.jpg

Last edited:
Getting close! I've been down there twice to scout and it looks very (steep!) good. Wanderer did you ever find someone to pack?

Hope the weather gets colder, both trips down there it was pretty nice up on top of the ridges. Lots of free range slow elk (cattle) around. A local I ran into said the elk might not be where they are now because to water up high dries up by October.

I went up and set up my base camp Saturday, just to have a great spot and to check things out. I am coming back in Saturday the 16th for a couple of weeks. Sunday morning I grabbed my bow, went for a walk and ran into TheWanderer. I am not going to say why but I am very impressed with him and his hunting partner, they are two very ethical hunters. I have seen some very bad out of state hunters but these two guys are welcome back to Idaho anytime!

Have they been getting into some elk IdahoMike? Did they ever find a packer? I leave Sun. for 14 days but if i'm around I have 3 pack goats willing too help them out.
Matt

Have they been getting into some elk IdahoMike? Did they ever find a packer? I leave Sun. for 14 days but if i'm around I have 3 pack goats willing too help them out.
Matt

Everyone I talked to was getting into Elk. They did find a packer, either out of Grangeville or Riggins can't remember.

Weather is starting to look great with the temps dropping and some rain moving through the area.

7mm- I will post pics after I get back.

Any advice on archery unit? We scouted and have been up and at it since Saturday, only getting a bugle a day. Action not very hot and heavy yet. Have had some long hikes in and smokey. Any advice appreciated as sounds like we are not finding them like others, maybe just need weather change they keep moving back. We did scout end of July but seems things have changed.

See you in the mountain!

Thats great to hear. We ran into a few good guys from Calif. a few years back in 39. There are plenty of homegrown idiots already here unfortunately. Good luck to all.

Just got back from my hunt less than 24 hours ago and am already sitting here back at work...

First off everyone we met out there while hunting #18 was first class. I got to call in my first elk and we had a great week. Bottom line was I should have one but first evening my friend pulled in a small 5 point for me and I missed at 55 yards. Absolutely just didn't hold the shot and it went low. Most of the rest of the week was slow and hot until one cool day this past Friday with a few bugles. We did a ton of hiking and I destroyed my feet. New boots are top of the list for next year. There were multiple fires in the wilderness where we originally planned on hunting. Probably good we didn't go down there as the "easier" Salmon river side was enough terrain for us. I can't imagine never being in the mountains again in September after getting to call in an elk. Hope the rest of the season goes well for everyone. Wish I was still there.

Thanks for reporting back! That's a steep tough unit to hunt for a first timer. it certainly is not a slam dunk unit! Glad you had a great time & built some memories!

ElkNut/Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back