Yeti GOBOX Collection

Idaho Unit 18 Archery Elk

My hunt was pretty much a bust, I had to move because of the snow, then had vehicle problems and didn't make it back up to camp until the last day. I hunted a total of 3 days. Here's some pictures. I hunted mainly Kessler and Grave creek. If I ever draw this unit again, it would be best to either drop camp on the wilderness side or stay on the National Forest side. The National Forest side is very conducive to having 4 wheelers. I camped at Round Knob.

Attachments

• IMG_20170917_133747272.jpg
    IMG_20170917_133747272.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 999
  • IMG_20170708_212948866_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170708_212948866_HDR.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 993
  • IMG_20170918_100240910_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170918_100240910_HDR.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 992
  • IMG_20170919_101205853.jpg
    IMG_20170919_101205853.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 989
Idahomike , how high was the snow? I'm headed in there on Thursday for the any weapon hunt. Looks like beautiful country ��

Snow was pretty high. It snowed hard twice where I was camped, at Round Knob, I think it's around 6k'. By the time I got down to Iron Phone Junction, the snow was pretty much gone.

Last edited:
id be very careful going up to heavens gate and the weather that is coming this week and weekend. there was 6-8" up high last Saturday and was dumping Sunday and will snow again tomorrow and Friday. Saw one truck off that road at about 6,500' Friday. Cold springs area was bare even up top

Appreciate all the reports. a little excited about having some weather this weekend. Have 18 days to punch the tag so in no hurry. :)

no, I am down there quite abit..we have unit18 deer tags so Ill be down about 16 days or so of the season. Was really hoping to get to hunt my spot up high, but its looking like I wont be able to drive up there by Tuesday with all the snow

Chester, Huntnnw, and the rest, how did your hunts go? I'm trying to decide if I should start scouting/applying for unit 18.

I also might go for another easier to draw tag like 36a, 37a, 48, etc. Any thoughts appreciated.

Filled both the Elk tags, picked up a whitetail and a handful of grouse.
Not easy by any means but we ran into another hunter who also filled his tag when we were packing out the first bull who gave us some advice.
All it takes is strong legs and a weak mind .
Everything is steep. Even flat spots are steep and the pack outs took multiple days on both bulls.

I know quite abit about the unit. Be in shape! this unit holds some of biggest nastiest country in the lower 48. Near 10,000 at top straight down to snake river around 1,600' . Lots of roads to access the mountains. There are some areas that are not bad at all to hunt or you can really get away. I know of tons of places that hold bulls. Pm if u want info

I have the tag the rifle tag this year. Would love some insight to local knowledge. I’ve been lookin around dry diggins ridge area.

I know quite abit about the unit. Be in shape! this unit holds some of biggest nastiest country in the lower 48. Near 10,000 at top straight down to snake river around 1,600' . Lots of roads to access the mountains. There are some areas that are not bad at all to hunt or you can really get away. I know of tons of places that hold bulls. Pm if u want info
I drew the rifle tag this year for the first time. I’ve always been an archery hunter and never pursued elk with a rifle. Any insight on this hunt would be greatly appreciated…

I drew the rifle tag this year for the first time. I’ve always been an archery hunter and never pursued elk with a rifle. Any insight on this hunt would be greatly appreciated…
It has true potential to crush a persons soul and spirit. I’d guess a huge % of hunters that draw simply quit when they see the country and never get very far from the few roads

I’ve been in the unit a few times for short trips earlier in the year (July, September) and I’m comfortable with the intensity of the country. However I’m not familiar with October in the unit.

I’ve been in the unit a few times for short trips earlier in the year (July, September) and I’m comfortable with the intensity of the country. However I’m not familiar with October in the unit.
Are you just as comfortable climbing 3k’ straight up with an extra 100 lbs on your back? Then head to the south side of the unit, about 1000’ up from the river you’ll be money.

Back