Small Game Archery Hunting

Josiah

I was just wondering what a good arrow head to use on small game like grouse as I intend to hunt my archery grouse season in september?

Judo points work well for grouse, and the pine squirrels that will announce your every move through the forest. We use our broadhead for judo backups.

I can't speak specifically for grouse, but for squirrels, a "sharpened" field point with an adder head works well. I did knock the head off the invasive european sparrow with a Judo head before. They're a bit light for my trad setup though.

I've broken the tines off the g5 head. Judo or an older broadhead that I'm too lazy too sharpen. Gotta keep your arrows in order and numbered so you don't grab the wrong one for the larger game.

I actually use a washer screwed in behind a field trip. I've shot zillion grouse with that set up. It works great and is far cheaper than any of the name brand judo points or small game heads. Grouse and rabbits are not elk. You just need something that will knock the senseless.

I use one of those hard rubber blunt tips. My buddy gave it to me a few years ago and I've killed probably 15-20 squirrels with them. If you get a head shot, it just goes straight through and barely even a twitch of the tail. I try to take closer shots on squirrels that are standing and aim for the shoulder. If it's a little closer it goes high and hits the head, shoulder shots are basically instant death, and right behind the shoulder results in a lung area shot and a lot of broken bones. I thought that with a 70# bow that it would be overkill but I think the resistance of the higher surface area prevents most of the over penetration. I've never had a full pass through.

I have given just about every small game head a try. I have had good luck with the G-5 and judo, but the judos are what I keep going back to. The G-5 heads work great but get messed up on rocks. Those judos are tough and work well on Fox size game and smaller. Love it shooting rabbits in a grassy area. The judo head will not let you arrow burrow down under the grass , helping you to find them after the shot.

Great Idea!! What size have you experienced works best?

I actually use a washer screwed in behind a field trip. I've shot zillion grouse with that set up. It works great and is far cheaper than any of the name brand judo points or small game heads. Grouse and rabbits are not elk. You just need something that will knock the senseless.

Beer cap behind the field point works as well, if slightly less proper!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back