California A zone - Anybody hunt it?

I have hunted it way back in the day... Obviously, it is HOT in most spots with 100 temp days being average.. Some guys do drives to get deer out of the cooler shade. Or hunt in the end of the season. A neighbor got one last year in the A ZONE and shot it the last day of the season... Good luck..

i hunt a zone every year as its my local zone, so im able to get most weekends during the season. its very hot and lots of ticks, so be prepared for both

It's definitely Hot but sure is fun. It's my local unit. Where in A zone you planning to hunt? North A zone? South? Public? Private?

Cold ass marine layer mornings, hot as a frying pan afternoons, poison oak, crispy oak leaves that make walking on quakies seem silent....you betcha, gimme some.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cold ass marine layer mornings, hot as a frying pan afternoons, poison oak, crispy oak leaves that make walking on quakies seem silent....you betcha, gimme some.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
...and dry grass you can slide to the bottom of a canyon on in no time...right thru the PO...LOL
Hunted SLO,Monterey & Sonoma counties in the A-zone for 40 yrs.
Do miss stalking blacktails.But not the heat,PO,& ticks....nettles,brambles.....rattlers....

I have a California lifetime hunting license and deer tag - Since I moved back to Idaho in '06 full time I only get back and hunt north of Clearlake every few years. Hunted 11 days archery in '15 and didn't fill - saw bucks - no shots. Had planned on hunting rifle this year cause I want to kill and eat one of the little suckers again. Drew a sheep tag in Idaho so I may not make it this year. I started hunting A zone in '74 when I was 16. Killed a few with a gun - missed a few with my bow... no blood. Last season 2 long time hunting partners and I had max deer points and picked G6 - Kern River late buck. Had a good hunt. Back to chores...

I hunt A zone archery every year but limit it to day hunts. I've backpacked in a few times and found that 6-7 miles in 100 degree heat was a bit too much for me. I live in the Central Valley so I stick to the Los padres in slo county. I'll be out there a few days during archery season.

It's great because it starts earlier than the other zones in the state, but like a lot of people have said it can be scorching hot. That being said there are deer to be had and the zone is huge so you never know what can happen. Good luck!

Effin A-zone! Hot, long days. I hunt SLO and SB every year, it's a good chance to spend a lot of days in the field with the long seasons. The late season hunts are nice to pack it in, plus bear, pigs and quail are also on the menu.

I have been hunting A-Zone my whole life. It is a huge unit and I am not sure what part you hunt in but I hunt the Los Padres National Forest. I'm not going to lie it is one of the nastiest places to hunt and backpack hunting it is tough but there are some huge bucks to be found. Let me know what area you are in and I can see if I can help you out....

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back