Where to start elk hunting

Drank72

I am a PA deer hunter looking to get into elk hunting. I was wondering if anyone could comment on what state to choose. Ideally I would start out with a rifle hunt and maybe try archery in a future hunt. But you never know how many chances you'll get to hunt out of state. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Colorado will be your best chances at an OTC tag. After that, there are many variables from season length (longest MT, shortest CO), how you plan on getting to your hunt, do you have flexibility in dates, would you want to hunt cows, what type of terrain etc. etc.

It's good to get an idea of what you are looking for, but don't get mired in the details, at some point just pull the trigger, commit to going and have fun and then do it again with what you have learned.

A late season cow elk hunt was recommended to me as a first elk hunt. I'll be able to report back on that option late this year.

If you are interested in Wyoming, there is still time to apply for leftover cow elk tags.

I would start in your home state of Pennsylvania.
Apply for a great unit in NM every year.
Take two weeks and go on an archery hunt in Colorado.
Build a point in Wyoming this year.

Big Fin consistently recommends Colorado and Wyoming as the top rifle hunting states for people just looking to go elk hunting. Colorado has over the counter tags and a number of leftover tags that can be picked up every year for four different seasons from mid-October through late November. You can even buy a license after the season starts, so you don't have to decide months out.

Buy a point in WY. Find a general unit you want to hunt next year that has leftovers this year. Hunt cows there this year, then bulls next year.

Outside Philadelphia. I do most of my hunting in Dauphin and Schyukill counties

I'm looking at 2018. I'm committed to going. Dates are not a problem. I'm the only hunter where I work so there is little to no competition for vacation time during the fall. I'm. I'm not opposed to a cow tag. At this point I will probably fly to save time unless I can get my buddy to go and share the driving. I have no delusions of a guaranteed success. I really want the experience of hunting out west and hopefully learn something that makes me a better hunter. If I am able to swing multiple trips in my future that would be great but I don't want to grow old and regret not giving it a shot.

I'm looking at 2018. I'm committed to going. Dates are not a problem. I'm the only hunter where I work so there is little to no competition for vacation time during the fall. I'm. I'm not opposed to a cow tag. At this point I will probably fly to save time unless I can get my buddy to go and share the driving. I have no delusions of a guaranteed success. I really want the experience of hunting out west and hopefully learn something that makes me a better hunter. If I am able to swing multiple trips in my future that would be great but I don't want to grow old and regret not giving it a shot.

This forum is nourished by the passion of hunters that tend to hunt public land on tags they have drawn and rarely with a guide. I have often hunted in that manner and many times solo with just me vs. the hunt unit. Elk hunting in big country is probably very different than you can anticipate. The gear has overlap but there are things that are very helpful in the steep country and pitfalls if hunting in the thin air than most Eastern or Midwestern folks can anticipate and appreciate. You sort of have to experience to realize how little whitetail hunting in moderate terrain prepares you for elk hunting at altitude or in steep terrain. Some units out West lack cell phone coverage, are miles from a gas station and you might not see another hunter for days if you get away from the roads and backpack. Cutting up an elk is more of a task than a deer and if temperatures are warm them is a race against the clock.

My advice is to not attempt a solo hunt for elk right out of the gate. Is a steep learning curve. I suggest you look for a guide in that portion of WY or CO or MT you think is interesting terrain and then the guide/outfitter can provide most of the gear needed for the elk hunt. Lots of units have 250" class 5x5 or 6x6 bulls and that will dwarf a PA whitetail rack. Most first time elk hunters will not harvest a bull. Is a long way to CO or WY or MT from PA and the fuel, tag, ammo to sight in rifle, perhaps a new rifle, more powerful binos or spotting scope, larger back pack, bivvy tent, lighter sleeping bag and pad, water filter system, walking sticks, game bags and something to split the pelvis of the elk,etc. Is hard to do this on the cheap first year so the money to have a guide at your side nets you another set of eyes to spot elk, some of the gear so can put off purchasing until the next elk hunt when know what you like a bit better, another person to carry supplies in, pack meat out, be there if something goes haywire on the mountain, etc.

Like I said, the temptation to save money and hunt without a guide can be successful though unless are hunting with an experienced buddy then the learning curve for elk hunting has humbled many a Daniel Boone that has successfully hunted deer, rabbits, squirrels, ducks, etc.

Last edited:
I have seen PA guys drive to CO to hunt... If your going to drive, hunt CO.... Just get an over the counter tag and lay down mucho boot tracks...

What ever you decide, don't wait another minute.
Get started.
Buy gear little by little.
Buy points in Wyoming for sure.
Look at draw reports, this tells you what amount of points it took to draw a particular hunt area and type tag in the past.
Look at tags that take 3 or less points normally to draw.
Then research those places. This will tell you where you can likely hunt and then you can decide to bank points for a few years or burn em next year.

In my opinion it takes at least 2 points to draw a good bull tag in Wyoming. So ,hunt cows in a unit you hope to bull hunt ,untill you got the points to draw.
Or you can hunt a Colorado OTC tag while you bank points in Wyoming for 3 or for years and draw a tag that will give a good quality bull hunt compared to other places.

All DIY!

But whatever you do , if you want an elk, don't wait for anybody or anything.

If you want a cow elk, Idaho has OTC, just pick a zone and talk to a few locals. Make a call to the biologist in area and you're set to go. DIY is definitely doable, learn the area with google maps. Fly in and rent a vehicle or drive. IMO. Plenty of cows, can be easy or hunt hard.

Outside Philadelphia. I do most of my hunting in Dauphin and Schyukill counties

I'm just 10min north of scranton, I just moved here from central PA, there's so much to learn it's kinda hard with just a post. I can't make promises on being able to tag along in 2018 due to our wall tent is already at max capacity but I could always give you some pointers and more information/ideas for hunts. However I do know a late season cow hunt is potentially in the works for 2018 and my dad may bail on us for that. Either way I'd be glad to help, send me a PM if you're interested in chatting.

Like others have said, starting saturday WY preference points go on sale. Personally I'd say grab yourself an elk, deer and antelope PP. If you're looking to go solo maybe consider a combo antelope/deer hunt to get your feet wet while building PP for elk.

Last edited:
This forum is nourished by the passion of hunters that tend to hunt public land on tags they have drawn and rarely with a guide. I have often hunted in that manner and many times solo with just me vs. the hunt unit. Elk hunting in big country is probably very different than you can anticipate. The gear has overlap but there are things that are very helpful in the steep country and pitfalls if hunting in the thin air than most Eastern or Midwestern folks can anticipate and appreciate. You sort of have to experience to realize how little whitetail hunting in moderate terrain prepares you for elk hunting at altitude or in steep terrain. Some units out West lack cell phone coverage, are miles from a gas station and you might not see another hunter for days if you get away from the roads and backpack. Cutting up an elk is more of a task than a deer and if temperatures are warm them is a race against the clock.

My advice is to not attempt a solo hunt for elk right out of the gate. Is a steep learning curve. I suggest you look for a guide in that portion of WY or CO or MT you think is interesting terrain and then the guide/outfitter can provide most of the gear needed for the elk hunt. Lots of units have 250" class 5x5 or 6x6 bulls and that will dwarf a PA whitetail rack. Most first time elk hunters will not harvest a bull. Is a long way to CO or WY or MT from PA and the fuel, tag, ammo to sight in rifle, perhaps a new rifle, more powerful binos or spotting scope, larger back pack, bivvy tent, lighter sleeping bag and pad, water filter system, walking sticks, game bags and something to split the pelvis of the elk,etc. Is hard to do this on the cheap first year so the money to have a guide at your side nets you another set of eyes to spot elk, some of the gear so can put off purchasing until the next elk hunt when know what you like a bit better, another person to carry supplies in, pack meat out, be there if something goes haywire on the mountain, etc.

Like I said, the temptation to save money and hunt without a guide can be successful though unless are hunting with an experienced buddy then the learning curve for elk hunting has humbled many a Daniel Boone that has successfully hunted deer, rabbits, squirrels, ducks, etc.

X2^^^^
If I had not sold some property and my excavator this year buying all the stuff I needed that I didn't have from whitetail hunting in a shotgun zone in MI would of been impossible on my salary. The cost of reliable gear adds up. I didn't have that 20 years ago when I did DIY in Wyoming and was younger and dumber. I tagged out but was miserably unprepared. Swore I would never do that again.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back