Utah - Plateau Thousand Lakes Mule Deer

TexRed

I got drawn for an archery deer tag in the Thousand lakes unit in Utah.

A large portion of the unit is Capitol Reef national park but the area to the west looks promising. I will not have time to make a scouting trip this year but I have been relentlessly going over google earth/maps and using the OnX hunt maps as well.

Anyone out there with some information they would be willing to part with on this unit and what to expect?

Good luck, I also drew a Utah archery deer tag only in the San Juan Abajo unit, 14b. I also asked if anyone would have any info they would be willing to share. Same as yours, no reply. Lots of guys reading thread and looking for info as well I'm guessing but nobody willing to chime in with intel. Not asking for anybody's honey hole or special spot, just some general info as to where I can possibly hike/hunt from my vehicle. No info on where the crowds go and where to stay away from to avoid the motorized type of hunter. I guess were on our own but what comes around, also goes around. After archery elk hunting here in AZ over 3 years and killed several elk luckily I know how to find elk and what to look for as far as looking over topo's and etc. It would have been nice to hear a tip or two as to what main roads to try or what to avoid. I'm going up this next week for a short 4 day scouting trip and although some elk will move around as the conditions change I'll have at least a general idea and that's what I need to do.

Last edited:
I would be more than willing to share information on hunts that I have experience in (TX whitetail, wild hogs, goose/ducks/crane). This is my first year hunting out west so I don't have a lot of information to share. I am looking for the same stuff you are, I don't expect someone to give up a sweet spot but even sharing the most basic knowledge would help me out a TON.

What area of AZ do you hunt elk? I was drawn for a rifle tag in the peaks unit. Any information there?

Came back empty handed. However, I did learn a lot about this unit and saw some really nice deer (one of which was well over 165")

Could have shot a few forkys and smaller class deer but decided to pass. I hunted a few different areas on the unit and gathered some good info for if/when I go back.

If anyone hunts deer in this unit, feel free to holler at me and I can share some of what I learned.

I drew this unit for the rifle hunt this fall. The biologist notes say the deer move off the top by then so I've been looking at OnX and finding some spots lower down to check out. I'll probably only be able to make one scouting trip to the unit because we're expecting a baby any day now. Any info you'd want to share from you're hunt? How are the roads? It looks like there are lots of roads throughout the unit.

I got drawn for an archery deer tag in the Thousand lakes unit in Utah.

A large portion of the unit is Capitol Reef national park but the area to the west looks promising. I will not have time to make a scouting trip this year but I have been relentlessly going over google earth/maps and using the OnX hunt maps as well.

Anyone out there with some information they would be willing to part with on this unit and what to expect?
I have the archery deer tag this year and just got back from scouting and only saw 5 does. Was hoping you could share some info with me.
Thanks

That unit is probably better than Fishlake but not by much. Might be a “Brown-its-down” type unit. Best of luck. Watch your expenses this year with Inflation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back