Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Second year hunter, still greener than green, high on enthusiasm

pablodiablo

Hi Hunt Talkers! I wanted to formally introduce myself out here and thank everyone for their help so far...either directly reaching out to communicate with me, or by generally sharing good information that I've pored over religiously.

I'm an adult onset hunter from Southeast Wisconsin...got into white tail hunting about 8 years ago and learned the ropes, mostly self taught and picking the brains of people I know and trust. I love having a freezer of great meat, but sitting in a deer blind in an office chair waiting for deer to wander through left me wanting more. The public land and openness out west called me. Randy and his podcast, along with Rinella's Meateater just stoked the fire.

I went last year to do a CO, OTC second rifle hunt and did 5 days in Unit 71. It was an amazing experience. It culminated on day 5 with a shot and a miss on a bull, which has further fanned the flames of my elk passion. It's really all-consuming and I love how it is a year-round venture!

As for me, I come from the world of fresh water fishing, primarily great lakes salmon and trout, but also inland fresh water lakes. Im always happy to talk fishing. Professionally, I am a third generation machinist and shop owner, so I've made my living with metal and making interesting parts with CNC and manual equpiment. If anyone out here ever needs a machine shop or you need something from metal, please just let me know. It's the least I can do to offer my help and expertise to some of the guys and gals who have offered hunting expertise and experience on this forum.

I'm trying to live up to the old adage of learning from others' mistakes to try and avoid making them myself. On the other hand, I'm having a hell of a great time learning the ropes on my own and making my own mistakes. They still haunt me, but hopefully they're learning experiences.

This year I won my first "draw" tag so I'll be off to Hunt CO unit 35/36/361 for first rifle season and I was fortunate to win an either sex tag, so I'll be using everything I've learned here and on other resources to go and hopefully see some elk.

Thanks again folks...this is a great place to be, and I'm thankful for all of you! -PabloDiablo

Last edited:
Great introduction and welcome! I am looking forward to reading about your hunt, please keep us posted.

If you got a shot at a bull during an OTC 2nd rifle hunt in CO on your first hunt, you are definitely ahead of the game! First rifle season can be a very good hunt as bulls will most likely still be bugling and elk haven't been pressured since archery season. You'll have a good time.

Back