Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Cow elk

cgarner

I have a question for those of you with elk hunting experience that are willing to help out a newb. I've been hunting the S.W corner of Wyoming for 7 years now for antelope. I'm branching out this year and will be going after antelope in the north central region of Wyoming (around the Buffalo and Gillette area). I'm thinking about applying for a left over cow elk tag but since I've never hunted this area I wasn't sure if elk would be at lower elevations with antelope. I plan to be in the area either the first or second week of October. The general elevation range for the area is around 4,500 feet or so. My limited knowledge leads me to think that most if not all the elk will still be in the high country in early October, but I was hoping for some more knowledgeable advice.

Thanks in advance.

They will still need the basics. Food, water, and security. Last year I saw a herd of 15-20 cows and a nice 6x6 bull while antelope hunting mid-October in the Shirley Basin area. Saw a couple more lone cows and bulls while glassing for muleys. Base elevation there is a little higher, but they were out and eventually bedded down on a couple miles from timber cover. I was surprised...

The leftover tags that are available in that area are limited in the amount of public land you can hunt on.
I plan on scouting it this October while I am there hunting antelope.
Couldn't get any good info on a area that I could hunt and had elk. So I didn't risk buying a tag for the units that were available.
Saw good looking places to hunt, just don't know if elk live there at all, and will walk it first.
If you decide to go for it I think 34 is bigger but 35 might have more of a chance at elk on public you can get to.
Good luck

Thanks for the info. I was looking at 129 since it covers my antelope unit. I will probably scout it this year and decide about next year. This year is a focus on antelope but I didn't want to pass up an opportunity on an elk if I spotting one.

I certainly know nothing about 129. Other than it isn't known for alot of elk and has lots of private.

It depends on the specific terrain and availability of welfare factors. If there is surrounding higher elevations that supply these factors, I would expect the elk to be up there. But you never know! Just when you think you have elk figured out, they throw you a curve ball.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back