Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by schmalts View Post
    I only have Netflix and Amazon so my choices are limited. Fresh tracks and meateater. When I had cable I did like Jim Shockey's stuff, his Dad was a riot.
    Jim's stuff is top shelf. This weekend I caught the first part of his Uncharted show where they joined a group of native and their beluga whale hunt in Point Hope, AK. Was very well done. Next week they do the same, but they are hunting larger whales. Not that whale hunting is anything in the plans of readers here, but his perspective of the culture, sustainability of the harvest, and the sharing of the meat was excellent.
    My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run outta health before you run outta money."

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8bawana View Post
    If you want to see a hunting show with bad music that would be "Into High Country". Sounds like the depressing music in a funeral home.
    Stumbled on to another episode of this show the other day. The host was taking his GF on a hunt for her first mule deer. Of course they were successful in the end but the perfect make-up and hair was laughable and the giant fake eyelashes were just too much. The very depressing background music was still there as well.

Guess I'll have to follow Randy over to YouTube after this season. I won't be missing much when I get rid of the Outdoor channel.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

3. Default

To my mind most of the shows on the outdoors networks aren't hunting. Maybe because I was raised to actually go out and hunt. The vast majority of these shows are either whitetail hunting or turkey hunting on some ranch somewhere or guided hunts which the majority of people can't afford. May as well be looking at $8000 rifles I can't afford.

If I hear “Smoked him” 1 more time...

Quote Originally Posted by PA deer hunter View Post
    If I hear “Smoked him” 1 more time...
    ...or BOOYAH!
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

I don’t watch much outdoor TV but just saw meat eater season 6 episode 14, MT bear hunt. Probably the best episode I’ve ever seen. I often hunt the same ridges, and he did a great job with it, all around excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    I dont watch much outdoor TV but just saw meat eater season 6 episode 14, MT bear hunt. Probably the best episode Ive ever seen. I often hunt the same ridges, and he did a great job with it, all around excellent.
    I've watched that one a few times as well. You're right that it's really well done.
    It is well to go all out sometimes. - Elers Koch

8. Default

I agree with you. Meateater and Randy's are some of my favorite shows.

If you are looking for a more Midwestern whitetail type show, The Hunting Public on Youtube does some great stuff following some public land whitetail hunters. They were the public land guys who were formerly with Winke's crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Range View Post
    I've watched that one a few times as well. You're right that it's really well done.
    I'll watch it again. I recently got netflixs and browsed through and watched a handful of Rinella episodes, all were very good. WY antelope, SGH cow elk, and Idaho mule deer. The MT bear was hands down the best, mostly because I can relate to the specific place, history, and experiences good and bad from years of hunting there, as apparently he does also. It was very, very well done.

I occasionally like to briefly watch the rich guy hunting safaris in exotic places, cushy private land hunts, man with hot wife resort hunts, retards flinging arrows and yelling "boyah", etc. But, when it comes to bear hunting, that particular episode is in a league of it's own. Just my opinion.

I can't stand to watch most these outdoor TV clowns and their guided 55 gallon barrel baited bear hunts, just lame.

I'll watch it again. I recently got netflixs and browsed through and watched a handful of Rinella episodes, all were very good. WY antelope, SGH cow elk, and Idaho mule deer. The MT bear was hands down the best, mostly because I can relate to the specific place, history, and experiences good and bad from years of hunting there, as apparently he does also. It was very, very well done.

I occasionally like to briefly watch the rich guy hunting safaris in exotic places, cushy private land hunts, man with hot wife resort hunts, retards flinging arrows and yelling "boyah", etc. But, when it comes to bear hunting, that particular episode is in a league of it's own. Just my opinion.

I can't stand to watch most these outdoor TV clowns and their guided 55 gallon barrel baited bear hunts, just lame.
    I've been wearing those two seasons out. I'm desperate for them to add some more of his older stuff.

Check out 'Sky Island Solitaire' and 'Mountain Meditation'. In addition to the ones you listed they're the one's I rotate through. Especially the Coues hunt.

That bear episode was the best 30 minute hunting show I’ve ever seen. Him and Randy’s shows are top notch.
    "I'll put some whiskey into my whiskey"

Are we talking about the bear episode where he didn't get a bear while hunting in SW MT?...Meh... Maybe a cameraman should follow me around. That's how my hunts usually go. I do love his show though. I wish they'd put more seasons on Netflix. That's the only way that I can see it.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

That show was light years more worthy of viewing and listening to than any Cam Hanes and pals beast mode bait hunt after arm curls, or Ralph and Vicky getting all gitty in the blind after zipping a bolt through a fat bear on a sugar high. Also, way more to watch (for me) than Jim Shockey sharing bone broth with natives in Crackofassistan before sniping a rare trophy mongolian spiral horn dik-dik. Funny that I think that, as he not only didn't get a bear, he didn't see or film one. That is hunting.

Crush with Lee and Tiffany is where it's at. "Big buck down!"

That show was light years more worthy of viewing and listening to than any Cam Hanes and pals beast mode bait hunt after arm curls, or Ralph and Vicky getting all gitty in the blind after zipping a bolt through a fat bear on a sugar high. Also, way more to watch (for me) than Jim Shockey sharing bone broth with natives in Crackofassistan before sniping a rare trophy mongolian spiral horn dik-dik. Funny that I think that, as he not only didn't get a bear, he didn't see or film one. That is hunting.
    I agree with you. Meateater and Fresh Tracks are the only hunting shows that I watch. Most everything else is garbage. The bear episode was just not one of my favorite Meateater shows.

Nice new avatar by the way.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeguy View Post
    I think we all agree on the top two shows as I see them come up the most (Randy and Steven Rinella) but one show I don't think gets enough credit is Into High Country. Jason is a fairly reserved, honest hunter who does things the right way. Most of his hunts are western big game on public land (I've seen a couple of deer hunts that weren't...no biggie) and he shares many of the same sponsorships as Mr. Newberg. If you haven't seen it check it out!
    I've really enjoyed this show too, the filming is so beautiful! He just needs someone to edit the monologues for him, a bit. Maybe it's just the ex-teacher in me...

17. Default

Fresh Tracks, Meateater, and I like SoloHunter... unless there is something I'm missing there but those guys seem to do public land justice. I will admit I tried to film my own hunt once... not good I'll give them props just from a level of difficulty stand point.

18. Default

Solo Hunter is available 24/7 on Youtube which if you have internet you can get. All the shows hunting private land at exorbitant prices are fluff. Even the guys filming their hunts can't afford to hunt there. They all get comped.

19. Default

Fresh Tracks, Meateater, and SoloHunter are my favorites. I dont have cable or satellite so I have to watch them on Netflix. I wish more were on Netflix and Amazon prime.

20. Default

I can't stand the shows but if you guys out west think it's a piece of cake to grow deer in Iowa you are missing a lot of the work that goes into it. The amount of time, energy, money, selective harvest, etc. that it takes to get a 150" deer to a 190" deer is just as much dedication as any kind of hunting, if not more and the number of 12 hour days in a tree stand (below zero to 100 degree temps etc.) that we spend would drive most of you guys so restless you would never see anything of value. So while the shows may suck, and most of the idiots producing them are a bunch of tools, don't knock the hunting style. We're all on the same team, we just happen to live in different places. Cheers.
    Last edited by llewellinsetter; 05-22-2018 at 12:53 PM.

I agree that all those shows with guys shooting farm grown deer out of a food plot really suck.
    The big difference is that when hunting wild deer "out west" you may never find that 190 inch deer you're looking for. When you're farming your deer you know it's just a matter of time before you grow them to fit your specs.

Name:  deer-herd.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  39.1 KB
    Last edited by Gr8bawana; 05-22-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Cree Prophecy

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8bawana View Post
    I agree that all those shows with guys shooting farm grown deer out of a food plot really suck.
    The big difference is that when hunting wild deer "out west" you may never find that 190 inch deer you're looking for. When you're farming your deer you know it's just a matter of time before you grow them to fit your specs.

Name:  deer-herd.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  39.1 KB
    I didn't know you had ever hunted in Iowa or the Midwest.

The thing is, very few people actually have access to large managed properties with the option of putting in box blinds, food plots, etc. Most guys are hunting small parcels of private or public land, and may put in 100 hours or more on stand before even seeing a 3 year old deer. The representations on TV are nothing like reality for most folks.

23. Default

This^^^^. Not to mention 98% of Iowa is private land.

24. Default

Speaking of midwest whitetail hunting, I'm really enjoying The Hunting Public. These guys are hunting public land in states that don't have a lot of public land and they also hunt some small private land parcels. Really all the ways we may find ourselves hunting in middle America. They hunt from stands, on the ground, in a freaking ghillie suit. And they hunt some really crowded areas as well. They don't appear to have a lot of money to burn on equipment (no $$$ optics, camping gear, and packs) which is a nice change of pace.

I mean, I want to get out west for a week every year but realistically I'm going to be hunting like these guys 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremys4 View Post
    Dog the bounty hunter is my favorite hunting show. A felon with pepper spray and cigs is way better than half the stuff on tv.
    way better with a pic:
    Name:  Dog-Chapman_(cropped).jpg
Views: 73
Size:  154.4 KB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast