Fire season and regrowth

Addicting

Big Fin, with fire season upon us and inciweb filling up with active fires. Can you do a deep dive into burns? I am curious to know how long after a burn the Critters start showing back up. Or if they never really leave and just occupy the edges. A lot of the articles I have been reading elude to that they don't travel far from the active burn. Here it takes about a month and a good rain for new shoots to start popping up. Is that when we can expect to see them occupying it or areas with in it that didn't burn?

This just has me wondering after all of my Escouting has been done and I have settled into a place and picked my drainages. What should I expect if they catch fire this summer or a area near my planned hunt catches fire?

Thanks Tony

Was there regrowth already? Or was it not that intense and just burned the underbrush? I would have to think that it would just start to have grass shoots breaking thru at that point.

Also is common for the forest service to seed any type of erosion control? A couple of articles I have read talked about it, but I haven't much other info about it.

Almost too many variables to predict regrowth. However, IMO fire severity and moisture after the fire are the two biggest. A "dirty" burn (not everything charred to the ground) and some moisture will have more green than you'd think coming back within a couple of weeks. I've seen critters in the black within a day or so of them being put out when I was doing stabilization and rehab work. Like I said, lots of variables...

In some cases/locales seeding is done post fire. Heck, I helped drill seed nearly 50K acres one winter on one fire! Steeper stuff can have seed flown on and other areas, especially those less susceptible to being taken over by invasive species may not have anything done. Just depends on circumstances and budgets...

This is the spring following a fire. Area was in great shape prior to the fire and it was drill seeded after the fire. I shot my last two UT sage grouse on the edge of this burn...

In Alaska's boreal forest, most plant species are adapted for wildfire...typically
moose browse is excellent with aspen and willow sprouting back and lots
of berries for sharptail grouse and bears.

Caribou may be negatively impacted as lichen is a key winter food and it takes
decades for lichen to come back after wildlfire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back