Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Best Budget Rangefinder

Brachii

I can't justify spending too much on one of these things-- who's had a great experience with one around the $100 mark?

Rangefinders are like spotting scopes, if you don't spend enough money on them you might as well not have them because they are useless. $100 will get you nothing but frustration, $300 is the reasonable entry point for a new one and maybe a little less used.

Last edited:
But then comes the question as to whether a used nicer electronicl object of any kind is better than a new one. If it's used, there's no telling what kind of condition it's truly in or how well kept it was by its original owner-- I mean, there's a reason they're selling it, ya?

I'd imagine if you watch the various forum classified or ebay, you should be able to find a used Bushnell or Nikon for $100 or so. If they say 500 yards, they likely won't work on most animals farther than 200 or so...
But if you want reviews of a "great experience" you aren't going to find one that won't frustrate you. Most guys use 1000 yard+ rangefinders not because they are taking 1000 yard shots, but because if they can range a critter at 1000 and a tree at 750, they know if they get to the tree it's a 250 yard shot. That's where the pricier rangefinders come in handy.

I picked up a sig for this year, so far its been great playing around with, i think i paid $100 off of archery talk classifieds.

Had a fairly cheap 500-yard Bushnell range-finder once upon a time. Couldn't really range anything outside of maximum point blank range of a .30-06 180 with it anyway so it didn't do me much good. Best thing that ever happened to me was when I lost it. Replaced it with a Nikon 550 (I've ranged in excess of 700 yards with it) and never looked back.

Have a Leupold RX-850 TBR bought for $249 and it works great. Can get further readings on reflective surfaces than the 850 yds it's rated at.
It is small and very fast. Much better than longer range, older Bushnell and Leupold's we also have.
The newer ones have much better lasers and are very accurate compared to just a few years ago.

I bought a Sig Kilo 850 on Amazon for $150, and I've personally ranged objects beyond 700 yards. Best budget rangefinder on the market with a warranty to back it up.

But then comes the question as to whether a used nicer electronicl object of any kind is better than a new one. If it's used, there's no telling what kind of condition it's truly in or how well kept it was by its original owner-- I mean, there's a reason they're selling it, ya?

Well if it is used but never used or has a transferable lifetime warranty it kind of is better. Especially if you get it for 50-60% of new.

Keep in mind, I like to gamble too, so for me it's winning no matter what. :p

I had a Bushnell years ago that was junk. Wouldn't do much beyond 250yards. I upgraded to an older model Leica and I love it. Granted it's more than $100. My experience was 15 years ago so they may have improved since I don't know. I've heard good stuff about the Sig's too.

A budget rangefinder is only useful for archery ranges. And it's critical to know 50 vs 60 yards. So I am happy with my busnell for that application. But for real distances, get a Sig. It's on sale at Cabelas for a very reasonable price right now.

SIG is way to go.
But if cash is tight, the Nikon models come affordable and work well out to 400+ , but depending on the model they aren't much cheaper than the Sig 800, or my favorite the 1250 Sig model.
Save up and shop around on the web.

I have a Bushnell The Truth with angle compensation that I got from walmart for under $200 for sure. It will range anything I need for archery and rifle. If I remember correctly it can go out to 800 yards. Furthest I've ever ranged something at was a tree 673 yards away because I was bored ha ha. Furthest animal I ranged was a buck and bull elk at 3xx yards away during archery season last year. The angle compensation is pretty cool. Admittedly I don't quite understand it all, but just to see the actual distance and what you should shoot for is cool.

Back