Yeti GOBOX Collection

Help! Choosing a zone in Idaho

Hoytxl2009

I've hunted the panhandle for awhile now, but wanting to change it up. I'm looking for any recommendations or good info anybody is willing to share. Kind of a word to the wise post. So, I'm in good shape and a experienced backpacker and backcountry hunter. I'm also aware of the wolf's and have been trying to get one of them pesky critters for years now. I'm leaning on weiser River and elk city zones. Wanted a salmon or sawtooths, but they are sold out. Was going to do McCall or selway, but not wanting to hire a packer and it sounds like you're getting in trouble trying to hike in that country. Thought about flying in, but that puts you where everyone else is. With all that being said just seeing what you guys have to say.

McCall zone definitely does not require a packer. Lots of people and not easy glassing/hunting, but still a decent zone. I prefer Sawtooths. Weiser River also a good option. A or B. A shit load of people but even more elk. Use google earth.

I've never been, but two of my WA hunting buddies keep going to the SE corner, and while they say there's quite a few people, they come back with giant deer and elk.

I keep hearing that. Maybe one day I will make it down there. Anybody hiked up from the snake in 22?

Any thoughts on the Lemhi zone? Buddy and I are planning on hitting that this fall. Will be my first trip but he hunted somewhere in Montana a few years ago.

I haven't looked at lemhi. I have a friend that lives close and hunted there last year. Said he wasn't going back. They are traditional archery hunters if that matters. To each is own though.

Lemhi is a good zone. Hunted a few times. Weather play a big role in where they are at different times. Access due to steep mountains. I've hunted there a few times lately. Lots of elk in there.

Are you looking for archery or rifle? I know for archery one of the best success rates in the state for harvest is in Unit 36 by Stanley. I got my spike opening morning in that unit last year as a brand new hunter.

I would strongly suggest 1, 4A, and 4, that is if you're a hiker...that meaning you love relentless terrain. my family guided there for years right on the Idaho/Montana border and still continue to hunt it to this day. I have hunted all over the state of Idaho AND montana and can say that when the elk are there, it is the best elk hunting in the northwest for mature bulls. stay right along side that border and you'll find elk. be prepared to hike. There was a 409" bull taken on the montana side of 4A.

I hunted in 6 alot, but never made it to 4. I wasn't that Impressed with 6. Only reason why was how thick everything was. Are those units boarding open enough to glass?

I only rifle hunt Idaho. I get out the stick and string in all other states though. I wanted to look into 36, but unfortunately all the sawtooth tags are sold out for non resi.

Back