MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Michigan elk and bear posted

Just bear point for me. Saving up for a first season tag. Should be close in another half dozen years...

For the amount of Michigan folks on here I would of thought more responses from people putting in for Elk in thier home state.

The Michigan hunt just doesn't have the type of experience for terrain and open space like hunting out west for elk. I just have never had enough interest to want to hunt elk in a lower Michigan environment. I did see a big bull crossing I- 75 in front of me years ago. It was impressive to see such a quality animal but their is just something about the management and specifics of the hunt regulations kind of takes the pure hunt out of it for me. It seems too heavily controlled. I'm not about the kill and more about the experience kind of guy.

The Michigan hunt just doesn't have the type of experience for terrain and open space like hunting out west for elk. I just have never had enough interest to want to hunt elk in a lower Michigan environment. I did see a big bull crossing I- 75 in front of me years ago. It was impressive to see such a quality animal but their is just something about the management and specifics of the hunt regulations kind of takes the pure hunt out of it for me. It seems too heavily controlled. I'm not about the kill and more about the experience kind of guy.

Well stated, i feel the same way. I did apply this year just for grins but didn't draw. No big surprise!

I have to agree with Huronmtns and Stillkickin. While Elk hunting in Michigan is a great opportunity, it has never personally interested me for the reasons stated.

I can respect that, for me it's a home state treat. I can take my wife and kids and have a good time with out much of the pressure. It is a good way to get them involved in something I hope they will then want to participate in on a western hunt. Right now they are too young and vacation time is precious for my wife so the whole family going west is not a reality.

... I can take my wife and kids and have a good time with out much of the pressure. It is a good way to get them involved in something I hope they will then want to participate in on a western hunt...

After 20+ times of being rejected for elk tags, I just take it as an annual donation to the DNR. I have had a few friends/coworkers pull tags over the years. All of them had a good time with the hunt, but they didn't all punch their tags. My brother's former coworker pulled a cow tag a few years ago, and they made it a total family trip out of the deal. They were actually featured in a quick bit on MOOD, and the 12-14 member family made it apparent on the show that it was a family affair, and the successful hunt was just icing on the cake.

The hunt is definitely what you make of it. If you want to hunt with radios and a crew of "scouters" you can do that, but that doesn't appeal to me. If you're lucky enough to draw the December season, stalking one in the snow to me would be a lot more rewarding. One of my buddies killed a bruiser 5x5 that aged out at 11-12 years old after tracking him for 3-4 days.

A different friend of mine moved from MI to KY for a job w/ the Nat'l Guard 10-12 years ago and he has pulled/punched two KY elk tags so far, and helped others fill 2-3 more tags. The odds are terrible for NR down there, but the odds of pulling a tag are astronomical compared to Michigan.

If I'm ever lucky enough to draw here in MI, my expectations for the hunt will be totally different than our NM adventure in 2015, but those critters are way too cool/fun/tasty to keep me from throwing my name in the hat again year after year.

-tom

I agree the Michigan elk hunt doesn't have the "feel" of an out west elk hunt but the chance to take an elk in Michigan is still near the top of my bucket list. For bear I've been putting in for the gladwin unit, I thought I had a chance next year at drawing but it appears theres been a little point creep

I agree on the point creep. I had the min from last years second season and didn't draw. So I would expect when I review the published points I will now find my 4 are the min for 2nd season next year. Lol. That's fine, it gives me more time to get my dog spin up in those tasty grouse this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back