Yeti GOBOX Collection

Magnum to Short Action?

20YardShot

Hey guys,

I am thinking of getting a lightweight 308 or 280ai and getting rid of my lightweight 300 win mag. I shoot the 300 fine and have taken several elk and whitetail with it. But i am tired of getting beat up when I practice shooting it, which i do on a regular basis. What are your thoughts?

I'll never get rid of my 300RUM and have killed more critters with it than any of my other rifles, but I've become very fond of shooting rifles like the 260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor. Those two calibers in a lighter weight rifle are great at the range and hunting.

I got rid of my 300 RUM and got a 300 SAUM. This thing points like a dream and doesn't kick the heck out of me. Reloading is pretty straight forward. Mine is a Remington 673 so it has a little more weight which helps with recoil. Just mounted a Leupold 3.5-10x40 on it. Think I've got my perfect elk rifle.

Keep the .300 and buy a matching rifle in a less obnoxious caliber. That way you can practice without suffering. We have .223, .308, and .300wm in rifles that match for the most part.

You can get 280AI performance in a short action, though. I have a 7 SAUM in a Remington Model Seven. I love it.

Either cartridge should serve you well. I guess it really depends on how far you're gonna be shooting.

I did the exact same thing. I have a Remington 700 in 300, got tired of lugging it around so bought a Tikka 7mm08. Loved the caliber so much I bought another one (BLR). I love the shorter barrel, lighter weight and easy shooting at the range. They kill elk too. It was a great decision for me and I have not shot the 300 since.

Don't replace it. Just add to your tool box. I'm a fan of what a good .308 will do, but I still have a a 300WM as well. I consider my Tikka .308 kind of a general​ purpose big game rifle with long hikes to a good hunting area in mind, but my 300WM I think of as being more elk or moose specific.

If you actually like the 300WM but just tired of it beating you up, you might consider just putting a muzzle brake on it. That's about the best thing I ever did to mine. The recoil is very manageable with a muzzle brake. However, the report is outlandishly loud. Don't wanna shoot it without hearing protection.

Keep it for game use and get yourself a .280 AI, say a Montana Rifle Company X2 would be sweet with a 6x42mm Leupold fixed power scope or a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold. The 280 Remington or 280 AI are both great cartridges!

its not going to hurt if you keep the 300wm, and just add another rifle to your collection. i love both my 300 & 338wm's, don't shoot either a whole lot, but when i do, i enjoy the experience. as for new caliber choice either 280 or 308 will serve you well, my personal preference is the 270, as mine has served me very well over time, and the best part is I've used only one bullet, no searching or fuss, just the 130 gr bullet, with either a Nosler bt to ab, although to be honest while my rifle shoots Nosler bullets well, the Barnes T-TSX shoot better. good luck.

I have two favorite cartridge's any more. 6.5x55 and my 6.5x06. If I was to get another I think I'd get the 7mm-08. I'd say the 260 but that would be to many 6.5's for a guy that doesn't have a 7mm of any kind any more, and really like's them!

I wanted a lighter-to-carry option than my 9# 7 RM. I got a 6.5# 270 Win, didn't want less power than that strictly for elk in CO. I would have gone for 7mmHT if considering pronghorn, muley along w elk. I kept the magnum, more often I carry the 270. They shoot the same trajectory to 400 yds, albeit w different weight bullets (160 vs 140 gr.) Doesn't matter which rifle, 7" low @ 300 yd, 20" low @ 400. I don't mess w BD reticles, like to keep it simple.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back