Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Late season Wyoming elk

Nick87

I've been looking over the Wyoming leftover page and I'm getting tempted to throw in for a leftover cow tag. The only days off to go would be between Christmas and New years. I've never been out west that time of year and am just wondering how worth whole it would be? I'm thinking that roads and travel may be a nightmare in itself. Anybody else go after them that time of year?

CRICKETS,lmao
No one wants you to apply,lol.You never know what you'll get.You could be in a blizzard,or it could be just fine.Roll the dice if you really want to cow hunt.They will definitely be the most easily accessible at the time your thinking of going.If your flying out rent a 4x4 truck

My brother and I would be driving out, we have no problem cow hunting neither of us get a lot of time off so anytime spent hunting is good for us. I was kinda guessing it would be a roll of the dice on the weather. At this time of year I'm guessing weather pending the elk will be down in the sage brush country for the most part?

I'd put in for unit 7 if I was you and hunt on some hma or walk ins.Alot of tags left there but it wI'll b in high demand

I'd put in for unit 7 if I was you and hunt on some hma or walk ins.Alot of tags left there but it wI'll b in high demand

This is the fewest leftover tags that 7 has had in a long time. The competition is going to be steep for those 152 or so. Those are good tags but if you want to be sure to get one I wouldn't hang my hopes on those. Where are you driving from?

Driving from Illinois if hunting southern half of Wyoming I'd be coming in on I-80, if northern half id be traveling I-90

It's impossible to predict the weather, but I enjoyed the heck out of a late season cow hunt. Got lucky with the weather while there and traveling to/from. I'd say put it and see what happens!

It's impossible to predict the weather, but I enjoyed the heck out of a late season cow hunt. Got lucky with the weather while there and traveling to/from. I'd say put it and see what happens!

That's kind of what I'm thinking especially for the price of the tag.

The weather could do anything in December. Snow could shut down travel for a week, or you might be able to hunt with a single layer. Area 7 is a good place for a cow hunt, but the leftovers are getting harder to get. I've got 2 cow tags there, myself. You might also look into area 98. The HMA there will almost certainly have elk on it then. I recommend snow shoes in area 98 in December. I hunted there in January, and snow shoes would have really helped.

They will be lower and herded up. By herded I mean big herds in the Southern part of the state.
Weather will definitely be a factor. No snow or drifts that inhibit travel off the roads. Road closures can be for a few days along I-80. Could also be bitterly cold so plan accordingly.
Area 6 is hard for access and 7 will be a zoo with all the tags out there. Here's an unusual Nov. late cow hunt, no snow in 2011, and the terrain you could be hunting in Southern Wyo. This was all of the herd I could get in a pic, the rest was over the ridge already.

DSCN0401.jpg

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to put in and just see what happens. I'll check into those units also. Thanks again

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back