Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Opening week or last week unit 16

Wjesswheel

So Iam hunting a large section of blm in 16. Original plan was to hunt October 7 Saturday thru October 14 the last the last week to try and avoid the crowds. Thinking know maybe I should get there on September 29 Friday and walking 8 miles to the center of the section and camping, scouting till I can hunt on October first. Thinking there will be a higher percentage of male goats. Haven't really researched if it was legal so any help on that would be appreciated, and any opinions on what you experienced antelope hunters would do. Iam a newbie to goat hunting, I just know here in Indiana after 10 days or so the deer seem to settle down once opening weekend is over any advice would be appreciated.

I'd hunt opening week, if you walk the miles into the east BLM ground you will be alone. It's rough terrain but you'll find antelope. Also yes you can camp on BLM but not state land.

Goat

Won't be more antelope than the first weekend vs waiting a week. Sometimes people help push them in deeper from the roads. Pm sent

I'd hunt opening week, if you walk the miles into the east BLM ground you will be alone. It's rough terrain but you'll find antelope. Also yes you can camp on BLM but not state land.

Goat

So it would be legal to walk in early with my rifle as long as it not loaded? Can I have an unloaded rifle if Iam glossing? Onx shows that is a little rough is it walkable. Elevation shows that it has a lot of elevation change but it doesn't appear to be super steep? Thanks for the reply.

It's steeper then it looks, I am 90% sure you can have your rifle since you can shoot coyote with it all year. It's pretty rugged country and more deerish to me but antelope are there. I'll pm you Dan the game wardens phone number when I get home tomorrow he was really good to get all my questions answered.

Goat

LOL! ... almost word for word what I posted just one year ago!!

Same plan and everything!!!

I would stick to the plan of going early.... I might also point you in the direction of a MUCH MUCH easier section of ground! That East side is a MUTHA!!! PM me if you'd like.

With your plan in mind:

1. have GREAT boots that FIT, and are broken in!!!
2. plan for weather 20 - 90 !
3. take WATER!
4. have great boots!
5. make sure you have GOOD boots that fit!!
6. BOOTS!!!
7. Moleskin

So it would be legal to walk in early with my rifle as long as it not loaded? Can I have an unloaded rifle if Iam glossing? Onx shows that is a little rough is it walkable. Elevation shows that it has a lot of elevation change but it doesn't appear to be super steep? Thanks for the reply.

Your rifle can be loaded even before the season opens since, as was mentioned by another member, coyotes can be shot at any time. Wyoming even allows you to have a loaded rifle with one in the chamber within your vehicle, but one in the chamber isn't advisable for safety reasons! I usually don't even have one in the chamber when I'm out hunting unless I'm on the final stalk of an animal.

So a buddy and I hunted this unit last year. I would recommend opening week. We went the last week and most animals were pushed on private.

I drew 16 as well I kinda had the same plan lol, can I shoot you a pm donniebrasco, I've never even hunted out west before I'll take any advise anyone is willing to give

HECK NO YOU CAN'T ! ;)

Of course! I'm happy to help! I've received so much help on here I'd be a d1ck not to pass it on!

I drew 16 as well I kinda had the same plan lol, can I shoot you a pm donniebrasco, I've never even hunted out west before I'll take any advise anyone is willing to give

Back