Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Tips For a New Antelope Hunter?

I drew a couple of doe/fawn tags for WY antelope unit 115.

Someone once told me if you have a couple of doe tags shoot the first 2 you see and then do whatever the he'll you want with the rest of your time ;)

I drew a couple of doe/fawn tags for WY antelope unit 115. I was wondering if anybody has any tips for someone going on their first ever antelope hunt. I have hunted a little bit of everything here in MO but this will be my first western hunt and my first antelope hunt. I'm super excited. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I am from MO too. What part are you from? I drew a tag too. Plan on going after opening weekend.

Make sure you know the difference between a doe and a young buck, both can have small horns. No black cheek patch on the doe.
All the rest is good advice.

Between small bodies and their colour it makes them look farther away then they are.

You are going to have so much fun.

All the advice is good. Only thing I don't see is any mention of the wind. WY has a reputation for wind. And since you are likely to be shooting out to 300 yards, be aware of what the affect the wind will have on the bullet you are shooting.

I never understood people saying to not shoot anything the first few days... what a waste of time hoping for, what... a 140 lbs buck instead of 135? Pronghorn don't get very big and therefore don't range in size too much. I'm with mudranger on this. Use the first one asap and use the second one to stalk for a while if you want to have fun, but no need to spend multiple days on this. There's so many antelope you won't need to. Good luck, bonne chance!

I never understood people saying to not shoot anything the first few days... what a waste of time hoping for, what... a 140 lbs buck instead of 135? Pronghorn don't get very big and therefore don't range in size too much. I'm with mudranger on this. Use the first one asap and use the second one to stalk for a while if you want to have fun, but no need to spend multiple days on this. There's so many antelope you won't need to. Good luck, bonne chance!

I think those comments may be regarding filling a buck antelope tag where you're looking for a nice set of horns and need to give it some time unless a "no brainer" one steps out as you start your hunt the first morning. If you're just after meat with doe tags, then your comment about not waiting and filling a tag ASAP if you get a good chance would be more than reasonable.

I grew up in independence/Buckner, and was thinking of hunting 27 this year!! Small world. What did it take for you guys to draw 27 this year?

We had 1PP and purchased the more expensive "Special Tag". Since we weren't paying an outfitter or guide I didn't mind paying a little more for the tag.

Lol. Small world for sure. I still live in the area.

What unit did you draw?

Last edited:
useful thread, since im in the same boat as you, and im from the KS side of kansas city. im heading out this year for my first antelope hunt in unit 80. looking to pick up a doe tag in the leftover draw as well. good luck out there!

We had 1PP and purchased the more expensive "Special Tag". Since we weren't paying an outfitter or guide I didn't mind paying a little more for the tag.

Lol. Small world for sure. I still live in the area.

What unit did you draw?

Wow, you got lucky. That tag was 0% <2 points , and 7% in the random draw. I was going to put in for the special 27 tag with one point as well, but changed my mind last minute and put in for 29. Glad I did with those odds.

Wow, you got lucky. That tag was 0% <2 points , and 7% in the random draw. I was going to put in for the special 27 tag with one point as well, but changed my mind last minute and put in for 29. Glad I did with those odds.
Are you planning on hunting the TB Grasslands or private? If you are hunting the grasslands what maps are you using?

Are you planning on hunting the TB Grasslands or private? If you are hunting the grasslands what maps are you using?
Grasslands. Right now I have the grasslands map from the forest service which is a great map. It really shows the road systems well and and what type of roads they are. I also have a OnX subscription. I'll probably get the BLM maps as well.

With doe/fawn tags just drive around until you find one close to the road haha! Actually stalking antelope is a blast. You can hike as much or as little as you want. If it want to make things a bit interesting and a bit more challenging you can try to shoot a "trophy" doe, since does often grow horns as well. They dont get big, 4 inches is about it, and thats a good one. A word of caution though, as mentioned in a previous post, yearling bucks have short horns, about ears length long, and can be mistaken for a doe when looking at them at a distance. Look for the black cheek patch!

Hey, I'm just west of KC in Bonner Springs. I drew unit 80 in wyoming. My first antelope hunt as well, so I'm looking everywhere to find info. If anyone has been in unit 80, I'd appreciate pointing me in a direction . Even something like, "focus on west side of unit" would be helpful.

I put in for 27 with one point and bought the "special' but failed! We're hunting unit 7.

I live in Lawrence KS.

Hell at this rate we can all carpool!

I put in for 27 with one point and bought the "special' but failed! We're hunting unit 7.

I live in Lawrence KS.

Hell at this rate we can all carpool!
Wow! Maybe we were really lucky to draw that unit. Seems like quite a few people from the KC Metro drew tags in WY for pronghorn.

The op drew doe tags.
Wind won't be a problem. Anytime after late sept you can get rain and you have few roads to choose from where you can hunt. Shots will be 75 to a max of 300 unless you choose to shoot from the cab of your truck, which you won't be doing. My avg pack outs are about 1 mile.
It's a friends area so that's about all I can say.

Oh, buy some tweezers.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back