Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Tips For a New Antelope Hunter?

luck1440

I drew a couple of doe/fawn tags for WY antelope unit 115. I was wondering if anybody has any tips for someone going on their first ever antelope hunt. I have hunted a little bit of everything here in MO but this will be my first western hunt and my first antelope hunt. I'm super excited. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Practice off shooting sticks and a bipod comfortably to 300 yards. Be sure to bring a rangefinder and good binos. Watch out for cactus!! Most importantly HAVE FUN and good luck!

I think, coming from MO, you'll be pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to find antelope out here. A rangefinder is really helpful. Antelope are pretty small, so they always look farther than they really are. Try not to shoot antelope that have been running and once you harvest your animals, get them skinned and cooled ASAP. They taste amazing if you take care of the meat and horrible if you don't.

One thing i've learned about antelope hunting and I guess all hunting in general is patience. You'll most likely see lots of goats and be gung ho on going after them. Its easy to get excited and just head straight towards a herd hoping you'll get close enough for a shot, which can work. I would recommend making a plan and going after them strategically. Be able to slow down and be deliberate with your stalk. You're gonna have lots of fun, I wish I drew a tag!

Antelope are territorial. Where you find them, you can usually find them in the same general areas again. Watch a herd for a couple days and figure out a possible ambush. Also, find the water sources in the area. Don't be too quick to pull the trigger on the first buck you see. Lopes are usually pretty plentiful, so look over the area for a day or two and see the general horn sizes and whatnot and plan from there on what you want to shoot.

GOOD range finder, and knee pads. I left my knee pads in the truck once, was trying to get those cactus thorns out of my knees for weeks.

GOOD range finder, and knee pads. I left my knee pads in the truck once, was trying to get those cactus thorns out of my knees for weeks.

ditto. I just picked up a cheap pair of volleyball pads at a sporting goods store. They have worked quite well so far.

You've already been warned about the cactus, but they're serious, many of the areas have lots of cactus. The knee pads are very beneficial, good gloves and boots help a lot too. I prefer good leather boots, I've hunted with guys in light hiking boots with the fabric sections and saw them pulling cactus needles out of their boots and feet while I walked through the same stuff with no issues. Speaking of boots, use 'em, I'm surprised at how many guys drive hundreds of miles and then just keep driving until they shoot an antelope from the road. Have fun and take lots of pics.

Enjoy it it's a fun hunt. Practice your shooting, have good binos, and a rangefinder and you will do fine. When are you heading out?

The plan is to head out for Labor Day weekend but the tags are good through the end of November so I'm open to suggestions for better times to go.

Somebody that knows antelope once told me don't shoot at any the first 3 days of looking, don't get too far from the beer cooler, use a high end spotter and glass as much as you can when it's not so hot out.

They have great eyesight, but for some reason have trouble in low light.

They are very visible and you can hunt them all day.

Do a YouTube search and you will get tons of DIYers sharing tips in the field.

When you get one down, get it cooled down quickly. I don't know how many people have told me the meat isn't good and to make sausage out of it. I call BS...antelope is probably my favorite meat. I shoot them, take pictures and then look out because I am skinning them out (gutless method) and putting it in game bags. Also be careful with the hide, that hair can get all over! It isn't like any other animals hair, real hollow and light. Good luck and enjoy yourself!

Ditto on knee pads, the under armour volleyball kind that you wear under your pants are what we used. Those, leather gloves, and cactus proof boots are what I would recommend. +1 on the rangefinder and spotter also. We had ours broken down in the cooler inside a couple of hours of being killed both times and the meat is excellent.

It was my first time last year. Couple things I learned being an easterner going west. Knee pads, leather gloves, leather boots and tweezer for the cactus. Meat hauling backpack to haul your meat out is a plus, because dragging one out sucks and walking back to get a cart if you're a ways away from the road is not the best use of your time when you could just clean, load, and pack out in one shot. Save your time and energy for hunting. Don't over think the gun and scope, if it kills deer it will do great. Range finder is a must. Be aware that the range finder could have some divergence (I think that's what it's called). It's where you get crazy readings because the sage brush is soaking up some of the laser. There is no need to shoot past your comfort level. A well thought out stalk or waiting for that animal to get some where that will allow you to get close is the way to go. They move around but stay some what in the same area. We put bucks to bed and returned in the morning to find them where we left them. Stop shooting on a bench and start shooting off bipods and shooting sticks. Really good at 300 yards and in should be the goal. The sticks allow for getting above the brush. Look at as many antelope as you can now so that you understand what is big and small before you get there. On the doe, make sure you save the utter. Brush up on what has to be taken out of the field (even a shot up front should ahs to be taken out of the field) and keep each animal separated. This will help when going through a check point. I put mine in individual game bags in one cooler. Hope this helps, the meat is incredible! Most of all have fun!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back