Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Tips For a New Antelope Hunter?

You are going to have a great time.

All the guys on here will give you great information. I was in the same boat you are in right now this time last year. Being from the midwest and having no idea what I was doing or what to expect. The guys on here helped me out immensely. If I could give one piece of advise it would be to have some sort of gps mapping system with you whether that is on your phone or traditional gps.

Hey, here's my first post in this forum. I'm headed to the Thermopolis area on some leftover doe and fawn tags. It is my first DIY hunt on public ground.

How do I know what roads/trails are open to vehicle travel on BLM/State Trust Land? Looking on OnX I can see elaborate systems of two track trails on satellite and topo but none list ownership or whether they are gated or ungated.

Randy always mentions using maps to find roads that are closed to vehicle travel and hunting in from there to get away from the crowds. Typically he is referring to elk when on the subject, but regardless, where are the maps designating open and closed roads?

You need to get a county map for that area that shows all the publicly maintained roads where you'll be hunting. Most can be found right online by doing a google search for that county. Then you need to match up your other maps to see which of those roads touch or go through public land you can hunt. Be very careful if the unit you drew is down toward the Indian Reservation, as it's off limits and you may never come home if they catch you on it. Just kidding, but they have their own justice system that you definitely don't want to face. Here are the two maps for the east and west sides of Hot Springs County that you may be in:

http://www.hscounty.com/Upload/File/20090505_164_HSC_GeneralHwyMap_East_Half.pdf

http://www.hscounty.com/Upload/File/20090505_437_HSC_GeneralHwyMap_West_Half.pdf

If you'll notice, there are + and - signs at the bottom right of each map and you can blow the maps up by clicking on that + sign.

Last edited:
Got it, thanks!

So if a road is not publicly maintained/isn't on the county map it's not open to public travel? What would be the ruling on a two-track that starts and ends on BLM, and doesn't go through private?

I'm planning on hunting the north end of the unit, opposite the reservation, to avoid any boundary trouble down there.

That is correct! Unless a two track is signed as off limits by the BLM and it's entirely within the BLM land it's a go. Just don't take a vehicle off any of the existing ones.

Pronghorn hunting is one of my favorites! I'd suggest bringing binoculars/spotting scope, a rangefinder, knee/elbow pads, and a good gps system showing all available roads. Pronghorn hunting involves a lot of driving and spot/stalk. Doe pronghorn are particularly hard to hunt since they hang out in larger groups and are more skittish. Therefore I would plan your approach and use your gps to determine where you can drive to get closest and make sure to be aware of all the private land. Use the topography to your advantage! Inexperienced pronghorn hunters always talk about how shots are really long but if you put effort and knowledge into the hunt shots should be under 200 yards. In fact, all antelope I have shot have been under 200 yards.

Another tip is don't buy into the bs that people spread when they say you need a super flat shooting rifle, light bullet, fast expanding, etc. We shoot our antelope with our elk loads, and we've never had any trouble and there is less bloodshot tissue. Doesn't matter what you shoot, just be able to hit where you want to hit. Antelope aren't super tough; they can't soak up a well placed shot like elk sometimes do. They will run like hell with a bad shot, but will drop on the spot with a good shot.

Have fun! Doe antelope hunting is a lot of trial and error until everything lines up just right. Good luck!

Last edited:
Don't be in a hurry. They are not like elk or deer where right away you can spot a shooter. You will see lots of them and when you look at a few you'll start to see small ( I mean small) differences. It was the best advice I got the first time I went. The difference between a average goat and a good goat. A mere inch or two. Difference between a good goat and a great goat, a few more inches and this may be in the bases not just length. Just go have fun see lots of goats and when you see one that looks a little better than the rest shoot it. My best goat is 75" and we spotted him through a spotter 1 mile away. He just looked better than the other 100 we saw ( literally). My criteria now for me is if the cutters are near above the ears and big, and bases look thick, shoot, because if I never get a better goat I am as happy as can be with what I have mounted. ( but big trophies don't impress me, the stories and fun do). You will have a trophy no matter what you shoot, because its yours. I personally think they are the coolest mounts.

Does a guy need snake gaiters for eastern WY ? Is a spotting scope a must ? Does a guy need a good pack or just throw em over your shoulder ? Im an Iowa farm boy bowhunter/shotgun whitetail hunter so this will be a little out of my element my first year.

A spotting scope will save miles on your boots. Pronghorn are not large but carrying one out over the shoulder is not easy. A pack frame or game cart works well.

There are several large tracts of state land that include irrigated ag land and was wondering what the rules are on these properties in Wyoming. Can you hunt on State Trust land that is irrigated and farmed?

There are several large tracts of state land that include irrigated ag land and was wondering what the rules are on these properties in Wyoming. Can you hunt on State Trust land that is irrigated and farmed?

Normally they don't want you on the irrigated field parts of any state lands, but you might be able to hunt close to them to take an animal that might be going to and from same.

It seems there's a disproportionate amount of Walk-In hunter access areas along the river as well as other land owners open to doe/fawn hunting. I understand that that's where the irrigated ag land is located but is the concentration of deer/antelope high enough to warrant all the landowner participation?

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON
Back