4th season rifle Elk...for a newb?

bdykes66

I drew a tag (3rd choice, first time ever applying) for 4th season rifle- BUT- I'm from Texas and this is my first ever elk hunt. I feel like there will be enough obstacles to face without throwing snow into the mix, and I have ZERO experience with camping and hunting in snow. Any opinions on whether I should return the tag and get an OTC tag for earlier in the year, or should I just do more research and go for it?

Might run into issues with most of the elk being on private that time of the year, obviously depends on the unit. That said snow can be a huge boon hunting. Do you have a good set up for camping? You can just as easily get snow in third season as forth depending on where you are.

My tag is for unit 74, so there isn't much private for them to go to.
I've got a great setup for the type of camping I've done in the past- I stayed up by Silverton a couple of years ago in early September and didn't have any problems, but I've never camped in the snow.
I've watched Randy's videos about late season hunting and understand that it could make finding the elk much easier, I'm just apprehensive about such a big unknown- I have literally only seen snow a handful of times...

Generally speaking you just need to make sure you have a solid tent, good pad, sleeping bag with a low rating... I've camped quite a bit with a 15 degree bag in the negatives with all my clothes on but I would recommend at least 0. You want to have a hard shell and insulated layers, no cotton, and warm boots, try not to get too sweaty (so shed layers before you start big climbs) . Breaking trail in deep fresh snow is kinda like walking in sand so you wont be able to cover as much ground, but you will see tracks so that helps loads. Footing can be slick. Generally speaking though I wouldn't let snow intimidate you. Just pack accordingly, throw the snow tires on the rig and make it happen.

Back