Private land in crow reservation Montana

Crumb

Just wondering if you can hunt on non-tribal private land within the boundaries of the crow reservation in Montana on a general deer tag?

So I read that as no big game hunting for non-residents on tribal land but does that include private land in side the reservation boundary?

So I read that as no big game hunting for non-residents on tribal land but does that include private land in side the reservation boundary?

I believe so. Another thing to keep in mind in regards to tribal issues, if you get crossways with tribal law enforcement you don't have the same due process rights as you would in state courts. So, if your rifle is seized, you may have a very difficult time ever getting it back. Maybe it's changed, but in my experience years ago, the Crow Tribal F&G was as corrupt as they come.

I don't think any of the reservations are included in any hunt areas. So even on deeded land there is no state season

Maybe it's changed, but in my experience years ago, the Crow Tribal F&G was as corrupt as they come.

Yes.

As someone who has until recently worked 50 hours a week on the reservation for the last three years, I'm telling you, do not do any kind of big game hunting down there, no matter what loop hole you find, unless you have a trespass permit signed by Chairman Not Afraid. They'll sell you a upland bird tag. Its fine to go do that. And they'll sell you an expensive bear tag, and if bear is your thing its probably worth it. Those big bears Mossback kills in that canyon looking country. Thats where it is.
As far as deer or elk on deeded land, stay away.
I've been offered to go hunt fee land for bears, because its a bit of a legal gray area, but I stay away from that.

I wouldn't waste your money or time hunting non-tribal private land on the Crow reservation. Regardless of the land designation (tribal or non-tribal) all lands within the exterior boundaries of the reservation have tribal or government oversight. There is a lot of confusion amongst law enforcement with whom has jurisdiction and non-jurisdiction. If you get caught up in this "nebula" it could take a lot of money and time to get things clarified and I would be willing to bet it won't be clarified in the end.

If you were to shoot a deer on non-tribal private land, once you leave that non-tribal private land, you run the risk of being stopped by a crow game warden.

You are likely going to need a tribal hunting license, a "trespass permit" or a "recreation permit" to be on the reservation. Currently, the Crow tribe has laid off so many of its people that you will have trouble getting someone to answer the phone or even help you. There is no such thing as "customer service".

Again, I would not waste my time or money. It will not be worth it in the end.

I would also add that there is very little deer and elk on the reservation, with the exception of far from roads in the mountainous areas- most of which is tribal or tribal trust- not fee. Most fee lands are fairly accessible, which leads to year around 'subsistence' hunting.
Working in fairly remote parts of the res as a land surveyor, I saw deer less than 10 times in 3 years.

Ok thanks for the responses. The land we could hunt is deeded private land non-tribal. It's just inside the reservation, I didn't know how it all works in Montana.

Long and short of it. Unless u are a registered member of the Crow Nation. you can not shoot a deer or elk within the boundaries of the Crow Rez whether its tribal or non tribal land. And one more thing to add. If u run crosswise on any violation within the boundaries of the Rez your case will be handled in tribal court.....u don't want to go there.

I guess it makes our decision easy if we were going to hunt there or not, definitely not after hearing about how things are there!

I can't speak directly about the crow res, but did a lot of hunting south of the Fort Peck res and Wolf Point and Poplar south of the res boundary on the Missouri river. We had natives come into our camp daily offering to take us on the res to poach deer and lopes. It was a no brainer to say "not interested". Same stuff could happen down there. How many trucks and rifles do you want to leave as "souvenirs" for the questionable LEOs there. GJ

I grew up on the Crow Res - and the advice above is good - so I won't be adding much.

Upland Birds are OK, Big game is not OK (in the vast majority of cases). There can be exceptions - but if I were going to hunt anything I would make sure I've got an enrolled member with me (that I trust). Which makes that tough to do if you are from out of state.

I will say that the biggest deer I ever saw on the Res was a nice 5-pt whitetail. He crossed the road in front of me just outside of Lodge Grass (right by the bridge over Lodge Grass Creek). It was about 3 AM and I was headed home during a college break. I've always thought that deer was the smartest deer in MT - to live there and make it to 4 or 5 years old.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back