Book cliffs elk

sdstalker

Well it happened. A whole lot sooner than I ever expected. I drew my utah le elk tag. Muzzleloader book cliffs elk. Now the fun begins staring at th computer, shooting the smokestick, getting in better shape, and dreaming. I can't wait to share the journey with the hunt talk crowd. Wish me luck.

Sd

Its a great area. You should have a fun hunt. The elk are not hard to find. Finding the elk you would be happy with is going to be your challenge. There are some bruisers in the unit.

Awesome tag to have in your pocket. I have seen some good ones already this year on this unit

Fun hunt in a great area. I think the muzzy season in the book cliffs is the best time to be out there. Congrats and good luck!

Good luck! My Uncle had a deer tag in the Book Cliffs last year, said he saw some monster bulls.

You're in for a great hunt. I've spent a good amount of time down there and got to hunt it with friends and picked up quite a few sheds there. Like TheDudeAbides said, you will be into elk everyday. High and low country that unit is packed with elk. Coming across a big bull happens but there's a good amount of 300-330" bulls you will have to sort through.

Hunted the roadless 2 years ago for deer in muzzy season. Pm me if you want info.

Hunted the roadless 2 years ago for deer in muzzy season. Pm me if you want info.
Hey I drew a cow elk tag in that unit this year. Looking for some advice if my game plan from escouting sounds good or not. I’m new to hunt talk if you have some time I would love to share what I have planned.

i drew the muzz deer tag this year,,if anyone wants to throw me a bone im all ears trying to learn about this unit,,sounds like hunt up top,,,what should i expect??do i pass on 160" class or hold out,,problably will never draw again in my lifetime.

Congrats! I spent a week last September there with my brother hunting ML Deer. It was a total blast. Saw a bunch of elk, but weren't really looking for them. One long tined 6 point that was really narrow, but great long tines. It was awesome and it was fun to hear them bugling a little bit.

Had a cow and calf respond to my "mew" calls and come within a few feet of me. Fun experience for sure.

Have fun!

Congrats! I spent a week last September there with my brother hunting ML Deer. It was a total blast. Saw a bunch of elk, but weren't really looking for them. One long tined 6 point that was really narrow, but great long tines. It was awesome and it was fun to hear them bugling a little bit.

Had a cow and calf respond to my "mew" calls and come within a few feet of me. Fun experience for sure.

Have fun!
Thanks for sharing your experience! My season will start on October 9th I’m hoping I can still locate the beards easily by listening for late bugles. Hopefully still some cows in estrus.

They were still bugling hard in there on the 7th of October last year.
That’s exciting to hear. I’ve never had the opportunity to hunt so close to the rat I’ve only hunted late season in December/January! I’m pumped even if it’s only a cow tag!

Geetar, and To anyone who has been here. I’m mainly looking to hunt SHE canyons. Planning on hiking the ridge on the east side and glassing. Down. Has anyone had success in this method? Should I stay more east and glass Segundo canyon instead?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back