Colorado Hunting Atlas

nhn2a

I'm heading to Colorado this fall to do a mule deer hunt in unit 3 during 2nd rifle. That unit also has OTC Elk tags so I was playing with the Colorado Hunting Atlas to see what the travel corridors and migration patterns look like for the off chance I happen to see Elk while deer hunting. I was surprised to see that a large portion of the Southwest side of this unit is listed as "Elk Resident Population Area".

I've previously posted about my upcoming plan to hunt this unit and most responses I got said not to expect to see any Elk until later in the season because they migrate into the unit when it gets colder. If thats the case, why does the hunting Atlas show a resident population or what am I missing here? Just curious because I'm targeting mainly STLs and there are several that are in this "Resident Elk" area that I could go to if it increases my odds at seeing an Elk. I'm assuming I'm misinterpreting the map but as always any advice is greatly appreciated.

That means a population lives there, but it doesn't mean they will be home. I hunt an area that is marked "resident" on the Atlas and I have only seen old tracks in 4 years of hunting. Don't let the map fool you..

Last edited:
The hunting atlas is a great resource, but I wouldn't treat it as gospel. Hunting pressure will have a large effect on the location of elk during the rifle seasons.

I have found the hunt atlas to be very accurate locating deer and elk. Use the winter/summer concentration areas function, draw a line between.

I hunted antelope in that unit last fall. You are going to have a good deer hunt but you won't see any elk. That unit is a 4th season unit. You will understand when you get out there. Unit 15 is not that far and you should have better luck if you want an elk.

I find the Atlas a great tool for learning new country, accurate in my experience in over 20 GMUs in CO. That said, it is only a place to start planning. Everyone has access to the Atlas, and that = pressure. Figuring where they go when pressured is the next level. In scouting a unit, I spend time on the boundary of public/private. Good luck!

there are small herd there all year long, they just don't stray too far from the ag land. Once the snow starts stacking up, there are large herds that migrate in.

Thanks for the feedback. I completely understand that the hunting pressure can quickly disrupt any and all "resident" elk. I was just hoping there was an opportunity to take both. I'll work on deer and if I'm successful and harvest early will have to start looking for some OTC opportunities nearby.

I'm suspect of the atlas... I've had zero gobbles the last year hunting in a "concentration" zone for turkey

Nhn2a,

I think of the CO Hunting Atlas as another tool but not always 100% accurate because we deal with animals and the crazy Colorado weather which determines what those animals do. My best advice is to contact the CWP Office responsible for your unit. Those offices can email you a Game Management Unit Survey for your unit. Those surveys/report are created by that unit officers and you will NOT find that type of reports anywhere online. I’m sure you will find that type of report useful for your hunt. Just call them and ask them to email you their Game Management Unit Survey for GMU 3.

V/R,
ColoradoHunter719

Back