Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Central Georgia hunt: Piedmont NWR and Oconee NF

frenchflorida

Hello,

I am preparing a trip to central GA to hunt Piedmont NWR (if we draw a permit) or the track of Oconee NF adjacent to it. We'd be primarily after deer but certainly would not pass on a hog. I have hunted black bear in Cohutta last year but never been in the central region. If anybody reading this message has some intel about the area, I would be very grateful for any tips or advice. I am going with a friend from Tennessee, he had a rough year and I'd like him to be successful.

On a side note, I live in Tallahassee, FL and looking for someone to team up with to scout and hunt Joe Budd WMA for small game (squirrel/hogs) and archery. I also got a GA license this year to hunt Silver Lake WMA since it is right across the state line.

Thank you

Matt

Ive hunted the tract of the oconee a little farther north, bf grant wma, and redlands. All to the north of you. When are you going? I have never bowhunted but expect that would likely be better as far as seeing game. I have generally been around Christmas visiting relatives. It a bit slower then due to pressure. I would scout for water oaks just dropping acorns around that time and set up in some remote creek bottoms and wait for the bucks to come out of the pines. In the piedmont wma you will have a better chance at hogs also looking for acorns. You'll see hundreds of turkeys but no fall season. Id take a climbing stand if you have one and want to carry it a ways. Get a half mile from a road if possible and you'll be alone for the day. If my memory stands the piedmont wma has some remote sections looking at a map. It was a little too far south of athens to hunt it. Hope it helps, pm me and I'll try to help if I can.

Hey frenchflorida I live in Atlanta and hunt a couple properties in the general area of the places you have chosen. I spent a few weeks hunting the ONF last year and saw a few deer. Like VAspeedgoat said, the later in the year you go, the tougher it is going to be.

The ONF has a lot of old growth forest, so ground cover is minimal. If you can find thick, nasty areas, you can find the deer. There are not many hogs in this area since it is drier, upland forest type woods. If you want a hog, I would go further south, and target a WMA along the Ocmulgee or Oconee rivers.

Cedar Creek is a large WMA in this same area that has a lot of good deer come off of it every year, but it is pretty popular. My favorite places to hunt are Oaky Woods WMA and Ocmulgee WMA, further south. Shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to answer any Georgia hunting questions you have.

-Herman

Used to be some good deer come off Joe Budd but if I remember right it's pretty small correct? We used to hunt Robert Brent back in the 90's back before the state lost a bunch of it

french, grew up hunting what was once the GU Parker WMA. Do you ever hunt any along the Apalachicola River?

For an early hunt, you might consider the Bankhead NF in NW Alabama.

Back