Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Ideas requested

the nikster

I am going on another adventure up north and planning on trying some pre-prepared meals. For instance, I am going to fully cook a ribeye and some beans, maybe boil up some spuds, then seal them with my food saver.
I am looking at feeding 3 men for four weeks. Breakfast will be organized on site and so would lunch, what I am looking for is dinner ideas I could prepare ahead and take with me to increase overall quality.
If I had 6 or 7 workable ideas I could make a revolving menu that repeats about once a week.
I'm thinking chicken breasts and corn and...
Pork medallions and....
Rib eyes from above...
Salmon and asparagus and....
You folks have any ideas? I plan on building each 1 and letting it sit in the freezer for a week, then pulling it out in the morning and (boiling?) it up for dinner as a shake down sorta thing.
I am not really keen on dehydrating or prepackaged (MH) meals. Just trying to think outta the box. Gimme your ideas, I'll try almost anything.
Thanks

I'm sure you'll get tons of ideas. Since it doesn't sound like weight is an issue I'd include baked potatoes. My wife has a "frugal" uncle who cooks up whole 5-10 lb bags of potatoes whenever he fires up the grill. He figures if he has to cook 2 for supper that night, he might as well cook the whole bag for the same amount of propane. Coated in olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt, I have to admit they're surprisingly good taken from the freezer and reheated. Plus, they make awesome smashed potatoes or homefries. Or reheated and covered in chili. Or...

I've done baked ziti or some other kind of pasta and sauce with meat and froze it sealed and rewarmed it in boiling water. Add a ton of extra sauce into it before you seal it. Rice also freezes well, and there's a ton of different flavors and things you can do with it. I also like to freeze enchiladas and seal them. Pack some extra sauce for eating them on site.

One that has worked for me, is what we call Rickey Goulash. When it was just him and I living together while I was in high school, funds and cooking time were scarce. Brown some venison burger, add canned sliced muchrooms, canned corn (drained) and some rice. Easy one pot meal. I've frozen this in freezer bags and just reheat it in a skillet at camp. Works dandy!

Do a roast (either beef or Elk), and after it is cooked allow it to cool. Then slice it, and put the roast in a vacuum bag. Put some gravy in a different bag, and freeze both. The gravy will store flat in the freezer if you put it in a gallon freezer bag and squeeze the air out. If you put a little of the gravy in the bag with the roast, the roast won't dry out. You can eat the roast as is, or make sandwiches (for lunch or dinner).

An electric with a timer sure is great. You can smoke while you hunt. Also, a crock pot is good to cook while you hunt.

Sort of a Burrito bowl type thing - mix rice, black beans, green chilies or salsa verde, shredded chicken, corn, cheese into individually portioned vacuum bags and freeze them. Reheat in your boiling water bath, then top with crunched up Fritos. This turned out to be my favorite camp meal last fall.

Those are some excellent ideas! I will probably try most of them. My wife asks me every week for dinner ideas, now I have something to share. I cook about half the meals but she does all the shopping.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back