Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Tahr Hunt Offer

Kiwi

I’m planning two short tahr hunts later this year – 9 to 12 November and 26 to 29 December 2017.

At this stage its just me going and I may have a friend or two join me, but I do have a spot available if anyone is in the South Island during those dates. I don’t expect anyone would make a special visit to New Zealand for this hunt but thinking if you’re here anyway it might be a good opportunity.

I will probably fly in by helicopter and hunt from a tent or maybe hut. The location (either western or eastern side of the southern apes) is confirmed based on the weather forecast and as this is alpine hunting the trip can be cancelled if the forecast is bad enough. Nov – Dec is our spring so probably no snow or very cold temperatures but here in New Zealand you can get winter / bad weather at ANY time.

I can’t guarantee you a bull as the hunts are on public land, and I’m no tahr hunting guru, but I usually see 10+ tahr per day on my past tahr hunts. I’ve done 5 of these dedicated tahr hunts previously.

You would need to be fit and confident in alpine conditions.

The cost will be just your seat in the helicopter, which is up to $NZ600 depending on numbers and location. There are no licence or tags and you can shoot whatever you want.

I do enjoy hunt swaps so happy to discuss this possibility.

I'll be in Alaska and Colorado on those dates. Most likely be doing a winter tahr hunt in late May 2018.

Wish I was there right now. Today it was 121* F / 50* C

Last edited:
Well you can't complain about AK or CO!

I'll be tahr hunting May 2018 too. Might see you on the west coast if you're going into a ballot block.

50c! Wow, it's a sunny 12c here :)

If I went to NZ without my wife, she'd probably move out while I was gone.

A trip I hope to do in the next few years for sure and will definitely squeeze in a few days of tahr hunting. When plans get more concrete I'll start bugging you for ideas and recommendations.

Kiwi, great offer.

Plan your dates for next year and make a similar offer. I think you will get a better response.

I enjoy having you on the forum. Breath of fresh air!!

Thanks for the comments guys.

Spitz - happy to answer any questions. Here is some great info if you want some reading -http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/things-to-do/hunting/what-to-hunt/tahr/

bobbydean - I agree next year would be a better timeframe but I'm pretty booked up :) I have a Canadian friend joining me for a May tahr trip already. No doubt I'll be tahr hunting late 2018 but I don't have anything planned at this stage.

Great offer matey, best of luck on the hunt, i might make it down there one day, but i ain't getting any younger!
Cheers
Richard

Hey, a friend sent me a link to this thread, this is my first post here. I'm moving to Christchurch next week to pursue my PhD. When would you need a hard yes or no on this? I'd really like to go, I'm just not sure what my firearm/gear situation will be at that point. I'm planning to import a couple of my rifles from the US eventually, but I don't know of I'll have them by then. I also sent a link to this thread to my graduate advisor, who's an avid hunter.

Hey, a friend sent me a link to this thread, this is my first post here. I'm moving to Christchurch next week to pursue my PhD. When would you need a hard yes or no on this? I'd really like to go, I'm just not sure what my firearm/gear situation will be at that point. I'm planning to import a couple of my rifles from the US eventually, but I don't know of I'll have them by then. I also sent a link to this thread to my graduate advisor, who's an avid hunter.

macht my man,,when u get here join our forum(fishing n hunting forum)and give me a bell(im 264magic)at that time of year i see between 60 to 80 bulls most days,,last year saw a 15" so thats my aim for this spring hunt,,and i have plenty of firepower u can borrow

That's a great offer kiwi hunter. Macht, happy for you to do the same and get in touch when you're here.

Thanks for the offers guys! I'll try and get in touch with both of you once I make it over there.

Kiwi, it sounds like my advisor is seriously considering your invite here, he's currently on a hunt now, but may contact you when he gets back.

How did you go? Good results?

I went DIY but also hooked up with some kiwis. Lots of waterfowl, some small Tahr, a nice buck Chamois, a couple Wallabies and Possums. I'm not done with NZ and a big Tahr is what I really want. However, Alaska is calling my name and I must go.

Attachments

• NZ 2011 031.jpg
    NZ 2011 031.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 618
  • NZ 2011 037.jpg
    NZ 2011 037.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 620
  • NZ 2011 040.jpg
    NZ 2011 040.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 618
  • NZ 2011 066.jpg
    NZ 2011 066.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 620
  • NZ 2011 137.jpg
    NZ 2011 137.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 618
  • 20131030_140507.jpg
    20131030_140507.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 615
  • 20131104_225021.jpg
    20131104_225021.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 622
  • 20131106_220805.jpg
    20131106_220805.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 615
I had a great few days tahr hunting. Saw 150+ tahr over three days. Shot two ok bulls and left a few others. If I can work out a Photobucket replacement I'll post a few photos.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back