Any North Carolina Hunt talkers?

Nemont

My daughter accepted the nursing Job at the Duke University Hospital and will be moving out there around the end of July. Just trying to figure out housing costs, places to avoid, places to look etc. So I will be out there a couple of times a year. Looks like a Duke Basketball game is in my future as well.

Any local info or intel is welcomed.

Nemont

Wishing your daughter well on her new locale.......and wishing you a miraculous scoring of Blue Devil bball tickets. Every game I have ever watched (via tv) is a sold out affair.

I spent some time at Ft Bragg and can tell you that the "Triangle" is a much better part of the state to live. The proximity to the 3 universities make that area desirable. I have a few friends (one from the Army and another from grad school) who live in the area. I will feel them out for honest opinions from others that moved into the area from the outside if you want.....let me know

Lived in NC all of my 33 years. Love it. Housing costs will be greater the closer you are to the urban areas and desirable schools. You're kind of in the middle of the state. 3 hours from the beach and about the same from the mountains. Good hunting for whitetail, turkeys, waterfowl, and bear depending on location. Good luck with everything

Lots of liberals and progressives in the triangle, Duke is pretty much the primo medical center in the state though definitely not the only good one. Lots of good dining in Raleigh and Cary, cost of lodging will be higher than most places in the state. Native Carolinians will be in the minority since there are so many outsiders flocking to that area, especially from the Northeast. Many from the NE move to Florida and after a couple or so of Florida's hot summers they pull up stakes and head back North until they get to NC and there they stop. There are so many of them that we've come up with a name for them (Half Backs) since they only made it half way back home.

She can probably get the best advice from her coworkers at Duke if she can secure temporary housing with no long lease allowing her time to look around.

Last edited:
I've always lived in NC, and avoid that part of the state. I live closer to the Charlotte/Concord area. The area that you're referring to is a huge liberal area, but I believe the crime rate is low.

Last edited:
I just moved out of Chapel Hill. From what I've seen, the Triangle is a really nice place to be. I enjoyed my two years in the area. If possible, take some time to go visit parts of town she'd potentially want to live. Housing in Durham proper is not going to be cheap but it might be worth it to her to be close to Duke/fun things to do.

Back