MT Sheep HD 482

Despite maturnity leave, there won't be a delay in receiving the information packet.

Not all, but many of the biggest rams harvested in recent years have come from Dog Creek (The information packet will confirm this). Dog Creek is not accessible by boat. Some individuals do choose to hire a local outfitter or lease hunting rights for easier access to Dog Creek; however, all the BLM within the drainage is accessible for those that have the desire to walk.

Additionally, a few landowners in upper Dog Creek will grant 'true' permission to hunt their deeded lands. By permission I'm referring to no strings attached and no money required. Boats are nice, and easy in regards to packing a sheep down rather than up, but most of 482 is completely accessible from the road system (Stafford, Whiskey Ridge, Woodhawk, Two Calf, Sunshine).

Don't stress, enjoy the hunt, don't rush things, don't blow a ton of money, and kill a 180+ ram...just remember that it's a long season and huntings suppose to be fun.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you have some insider info regarding distribution of the packet. Whatever your source, thanks a bunch for sharing.

The info you have shared on road access being pretty good for most of the unit seems to echo what I have learned elsewhere, so I appreciate that.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a boat to use....just seems that it isn't a deal breaker either.

^^^^^^^ This. I agree with everything Bivy said.
Of course this could be a good excuse to by a jet boat. You could get easy permission from management since you are helping your Dad and are going to sell the boat in the spring and maybe even make money. then In the spring Take the family out on an enjoyable trip and Bam you have a new jet boat that you can take your buddy paddle fishing in and also use for his Sheep hunt next year. Just an idea.

Ha, new boat to take my buddy paddle fishing....I'm thinking I'm thinking, hmmm, no one comes to mind, drawing a blank;)

So you think next year is your year huh! Well the odds of us both drawing next year are pretty low, and I planned to draw it myself next year and have it all figured out by then, but I sure hope one of us does.

Not sure if they have them at the BLM office in Billings, but you can order on from Lewistown or Havre for a cheaper price. Good luck on the hunt.

Thanks I will check them out.

Good luck always helps! We will be there doing our part, hopefully the big boys show up sometime and make a fatal mistake.

Congrats to your dad!!! My dad drew that tag 3 years ago and I couldn't agree more with what Bivy said! Having a GPS helps a ton and we saw a lot more sheep away from the river then on it. PM me if you would like.
Matt

Congrats to your dad!!! My dad drew that tag 3 years ago and I couldn't agree more with what Bivy said! Having a GPS helps a ton and we saw a lot more sheep away from the river then on it. PM me if you would like.
Matt

Thanks. We are all set with the OnXMaps on our GPS's, which I expect to use quite a bit. The landowner GPS has been a game changer for all of my hunting the past couple of years.

I sent you a PM.

You've got tons of good info so far. The boat is an awesome way to go if you can pull it off. I was lucky to have a friend let me use his. Solo on the river for a week was amazing, but I was also prepared to access sheep from roads. Dog Cr was my non-boat choice at the time, but a few of the roads that get you down toward the river are within walking distance of some great hot spots. Wait for that packet, then chart ten years worth of kills (color coded by size) on a map and head for those concentrations!!

Can't wait to hear about your hunt!!

We made it out in the heat for our first scouting effort. We looked at a ton of sheepy country. The main intent was to get familiar with the unit and the roads and access, seeing critters was definitely a bonus.
IMG_6108.jpgIMG_6120.jpgIMG_6155.jpg

Wow now that is what dreams are made of. Enjoy this year it's gonna be fantastic and one you will never forget.

holy smokes! What an experience you guys are gonna have. Amazing. You're the envy of the entire hunting world.

Very cool pictures! Good luck this season with the rest of your scouting and hunting season. It'll be awesome to see the end result.

Not one to burn that tag on but he is wide and starting to lose his tips on one side.

From July 22 on public land.

I think your 3rd, 4th and 5th pics might be the same sheep as this guy - that young ram in 3rd is almost white. I should of took a pic of him. PM me if you think they are different and want location.

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2202.jpg

Have fun!!!!!

Not one to burn that tag on but he is wide and starting to lose his tips on one side.

From July 22 on public land.

I think your 3rd, 4th and 5th pics might be the same sheep as this guy - that young ram in 3rd is almost white. I should of took a pic of him. PM me if you think they are different and want location.

View attachment 72713

View attachment 72714

Have fun!!!!!

Boy, I am not good enough at sheep yet to be able to tell if they are the same critter, but they sure look similar to me.

Thanks for the pics, those are great. Looks like he was just off the river.

Do you have a sheep tag in the unit?

No sheep tag - rifle bull tag. Hope to scout it 2 more weekends pre archery then hunt it for a week during archery. If no love I will hunt the rifle until I get it done. plan on spending a bunch of time in there. I will contact you if I come across any more
Pm'd you the location of those pic's in case they are different rams.
Incredible country - I look forward to seeing what you guys harvest!!
IMG_2195.jpg

Shoot I just saw this. I have a jet boat in Great Falls I would lend you for the hunt. PM me if interested. Good luck.

Shoot I just saw this. I have a jet boat in Great Falls I would lend you for the hunt. PM me if interested. Good luck.

Very interesting. Let's see how this first trip from the ground attack goes. Should have something to report back next week.

I know of at least one person who has already killed a ram in the unit.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back