Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Kimber Hunter

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

After a lot of debate, I finally sprung for a new rifle. I threw my money down for a Kimber Hunter. Things have been super busy, but I finally got it scoped up. After mindless waffling on a caliber, I decided I was picking fly shit out of chili and went with the 6.5 Hipster over the 7mm Hunt Talk.

FE3CFAD2-9ED2-404C-A242-1E4EAB3AFB48_zpst3sqse1s.jpg

Here are some groups, I have about fifty rounds down the barrel thus far.

Bottom left was the fouling shot.

1F7C9E01-6D43-41F1-8696-088B532F6E93_zpsojrtsbu6.jpg

I pulled the bottom shot.

BB9019CE-21AC-4033-9EA3-D5A16EC855DF_zpsqzwa4sfs.jpg

Top right was me trying a different hold.

169EB054-16DB-4B8C-86A7-2AAFDC8DEC28_zpsmsglttto.jpg

These are practice loads using Sierra Match Kings and Varget powder. The first group is 1", at 37 grains. 39 grains was 1.2". I'm probably done working up a practice load, some Hammer bullets are next for a hunting load. One thing is for sure, lightweight rifles are a different animal to shoot.

I checked max charges and was able to run it up to 41 grains before I saw pressure signs, which is one grain above max on the Sierra data.

This gun has really nice trigger, and should make a great hunting rifle.

Edit: I should add that this gun comes with pillars, and I glass bedded the recoil lug.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the 6.5 creedmoor is here to stay. It's consuming everything.

I've never liked the .308 but I think my next rifle will be a bergara b14 in the creedmoor. Unless I run into some cash.....then it's gonna be a Cooper Backcountry in 6.5x284

Sweet looking setup, and appears to shoot equally nice. What a year. First a classic SXS and now a Hipster? Fun times at the JLS house.

Sweet looking setup, and appears to shoot equally nice. What a year. First a classic SXS and now a Hipster? Fun times at the JLS house.

Alter egos for sure, huh? This is my first synthetic stocked rifle, and it was a leap for me to do it.

I did have to do some contract work on the side to pull this one off.

A few Kimber haters on here, but I've got a 84L in '06 that's a sweet shooter and bro has a Mountain Ascent in 7 mag that we're working up loads for. No complaints about the quality on accuracy.

Very nice! That would cover a lot of bases for me. Hope Henry's not on Old Roy now... ;)

FWIW, that barreled action will drop right into a Montana stock if you decide to make the switch down the road. Will need to buy the magazine parts and a trigger guard.

JLS very nice!

I was just discussing this exact rifle/Chambering with a good friend the other day as we are both talking about a 6.5 Creed build. Can't wait to see the subsequent load development.

The Hunters seem like incredibly useful rifles. A .243 is on my wishlist.

What scope did you put on top of it?

After a lot of debate, I finally sprung for a new rifle. I threw my money down for a Kimber Hunter. Things have been super busy, but I finally got it scoped up. After mindless waffling on a caliber, I decided I was picking fly shit out of chili and went with the 6.5 Hipster over the 7mm Hunt Talk.

JLS
Thanks for sharing. I got a smoking deal on the same gun this spring, but havent had a chance to shoot it yet. I was planning on buying a 7mm-08 as well, but then this deal fell into my lap and I couldn't pass it up. I'm super excited to see your results. Thanks again

Check this article out. When I started shooting my BHA Kimber, I reread this a couple of times and I was able to wring 3/4in groups out of it when I did my job, but if you get lazy they balloon up quick.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/9/10/how-to-shoot-light-rifles/

Interesting article. I know I am not squaring up to the gun like the author states. When I get back home I'm going to retest some of the loads prone, squared up instead of using the bench that forces me to come in from the side.

I was shooting a five shot string without cooling time during the string, but several minutes between strings. I'll have to play with that and see if it makes any significant difference. I can already tell it's plenty good for government work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back