PEAX Equipment

Kimber Hunter

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
This was a max load, but no pressure signs. I'll bump it a bit and see if it tightens up more

BEAA9D24-8C18-4675-9110-5356989D57C3_zpsgiquwjgk.jpg

If all else fails, I can live with this one. It is a 6.5 pound gun after all.

6DCDDF9B-3943-4205-A43E-17A9CD3AEDD9_zpsogrji55p.jpg

A few Kimber haters on here, but I've got a 84L in '06 that's a sweet shooter and bro has a Mountain Ascent in 7 mag that we're working up loads for. No complaints about the quality on accuracy.

I've got an 84L Classic Select that was a wedding gift from my wife, it's a pleasure to carry. Light and accurate enough for my needs, it's grouping just over an inch with great constancy with some relatively crude handloaded Accubonds. Thinking of having the metal work cerakoted in the near future, the damn thing rusts if you look at it sideways. How is yours in the elements? Otherwise I'm in love with the rifle. I think the new Kimbers got a bad rap early on. Thinking of adding an 8400 in .338 next, probably a Montana.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1465216350730.jpg
    FB_IMG_1465216350730.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 755
She'll shoot.

IMG_0568.jpg

Slightly compressed charge of Hodgdon Superperformance, CCI 250, 124 grain Hammer Hunter. Chrono data to follow.

Might be buying another one soon, Krista is quite fond of the Kimber. Little fart shot a 1" group with the bipod and no rear support last night.

IMG_0044.jpg

Might be buying another one soon, Krista is quite fond of the Kimber. Little fart shot a 1" group with the bipod and no rear support last night.

View attachment 74165
I cannot think of a better reason for doing so than that!! Let her paint the stock how she wants it, then go get your own! :D I've found in my household, "It's for the kids" makes purchases like that much easier. My two boys are both LH shooters, so this is not a tactic I can employ too often.

We'll rename it the 6.5 Ponytail :)

This really is a nice shooting rifle. She shot 15 rounds last night and said her shoulder felt fine, and she's a pretty skinny kid. She was pretty excited when I told her she could use it for hunting his year.

I finally got my out to the range this week. It's a sweet shooting little rifle. I'm excited to get it into the field.

I've been playing around with a Kimber Hunter in .308 for the last 4 or 5 months. Over 300 rounds through it and it's a good shooting rifle with hand loaded 165 gr Accubonds. I don't have any complaints with the rifle at all except the barrel does warm up fast and can cause some flyers.

Finally got chrono data. Hammers were 2882 FPS and SMK practice loads were 2690. The spread on the Hammers was a little higher than I would have liked, but this is what they look like at 225 yards, 20 mph crosswind. The cluster of three shots at 2 o’clock that are circled.

79655A93-1AEA-4A49-8F88-4A1ADA0B2956.jpg

Edit: As an aside, the rifle doesn't seem sensitive to mixing the Hammer monolithics with the Sierra Match Kings. This group was shot immediately after a three shot group of the SMK. Also, I probably have around 50-70 rounds through this without cleaning it.

As per usual, no cooling time between shots. Shoot them as fast as I can get settled back in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my Kimber Hunter made its maiden voyage into the field this last weekend when I loaded it to my brother for his Utah rifle deer hunt. We had a 5 hour hike into camp with heavy packs and the extra light rifle was sure nice. Early in the morning my brother shot a nice buck after breaking the animal down and loading up the boned out quarters we headed out. Once again the light weight of the Hunter made the heavy trip out a little better. Any other Kimber Hunter success stories this year?

IMG_0837.jpgIMG_0841.jpgIMG_0856.jpg

Dropped this mule deer on the 21st of October with my Kimber Hunter in7mm-08. I agree with the light weight hunter being nice on the pack out.

GqrLXyNl.jpg

Thought this thread deserved an update with thoughts after prolonged use.

Good:

Accuracy
Trigger
Weight
Slim design

Bad:

Sharp magazine feed lips
Stock wear
8D2C262C-0767-4962-99E6-B059982A3563.jpeg

Overall:

IMO this is a great buy for a lightweight mountain rifle. Very Glock-esque in that it won’t win style points, but it works and works well.

I’ve sanded down the feed lips, which helped. If you insert a full magazine in the rifle and carry it empty, there is a lot of upward pressure on the bolt when you go to chamber. It’s a little tough to do slowly and quietly.

The balance on the rifle is very nice. I love my Mountain Rifle, but really wish it had the more slender stock lines the Kimber has.

Reminds me I have a KImber chambered 22 Long Rifle made, as I recall, in Clackamas, Oregon. One fine rifle

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back