Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Things to do in Reno, NV

MooseCaboose

Hey All-

I've got a short-term work assignment in Carson City, NV for the summer. Aside from Lake Tahoe etc. are there any things I should get out and do this summer?

I've got all my backcountry gear with me. Are there any bow shoots or similar events nearby?

I'd like to make the most of my time in this beautiful area.

Thanks.

Virginia City is a nice place to visit. There's also a little hole in the hall bar in the middle of no where that's the oldest bar in Nevada. Be sure and check out the safe!

I asked this same question a couple months ago on here, so you may want to dig that one up and look at the reaponses i got. A couple notes from my trip:

Don't go to Virginia City too early. I got there at 830am and the only thing open was a coffee shop. Hr said most stores don't open until about 11.

Pyramid Lake isn't too far of a drive. After driving through the reservation for a while the lake suddenly appears. I didn't catch anything, but the view was nice.

Stupid me didnt have cash in my wallet when i arrived at Emerald Bay. Had to drive a half hour to get to the nearest ATM. Needless to say, not everyone takes debit cards...

Talk with Rick Newman at House of Arrows Archery Shop, he could send you in the right direction for archery related events. Check out Pyramid Lake, not sure when the best time of year is to catch Lahontan Cuttthroat, but they grow big in that lake.

My wifes grandmother lived in Virginia City for many years and it is interesting to see the sights and learn the history of the town. One bad thing is all the little gift shops are now full of the same made in china crap you can get anywhere.
The Truckee River is still running very high but there are places that can be fished and there are some pretty nice fish. Pyramid Lake is getting to the end of the best fishing period which is March thru June, there are some real monster trout there. Lots of small alpine lakes around Tahoe for fishing too.
As for hunting only coyotes and jack rabbits can be hunted year round.

Must eat at Miguels in Reno, some of the best mexican food around. Hunter Creek trail leaves out of southern Reno, is a good little day hike. If you like golf, the Baracuda Championship (PGA Tour) is at Montreaux in August, beautiful course. Tons of hikable lakes out of Tahoe with decent fishing. Mammoth Lakes, CA is only ~2 hours south, great fishing around there and the Bridgeport Reservoir which is a little closer. PM for anything more specific.

Truckee is a nice town to visit. Boca and Stampede reservoirs near there are good and the Little Truckee both above and below Stampede are fun to fish. Head east to the Austin area. Lots of places to camp, several beautiful wilderness areas, hot springs and ghost towns in that area. Stop at Eastgate and have hamburger if you go.

I am wrong, it's Middlegate not Eastgate. We did the Monster Burger one time. Split 4ways and still took some home. It sure was good!

Bodie is a very cool ghost town and a nice drive from Carson. Come back over Monitor Pass.

In Carson eat at villa basque deli on North Roop st the best chorizo you'll ever have peat is the man. As far as what to do drive threw genoa threw the fields and check out all the big bucks walking around. You can fish topaz lake not too far like 45 minutes. If you like city life head to Reno if you like country drive out to minden. check out east lake blvd in washoe valley last year their was 200" out there and I'm sure this year won't disappoint either have fun pm me if you have questions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON
Back