Help me understand these loads

If you have any of the hard to chamber ones left, chamber it and then eject it. See if it's the bullet contacting or if it's hitting somewhere else. A magic marker is handy for doing this. That would also give some info to the guy loading them. And yes, I'd probably ditch the leadsled. And there is no inch designator if you are measuring in MOA or vice versa...

I went and watched YouTube on MOA and didn't realize it was that complicated. I have alway thought of it as 1" at 100 yards.

I have one Accubond left. I will try that tonight when I get home.

I'd continue to shoot the Fusions. They shoot into a smaller group and I much prefer a little horizontal dispersion versus all the vertical dispersion we see in the Accubonds.

I ordered some more Fusions from MidwayUSA. They should be here on Monday for testing. I am also going to try and get some more Accubonds 140g and Berger 140g seated a little deeper and shoot them off from a rear stock bag and with my Harris bipod this time to see how tight I can get them. I will post the results for those interested in the lead sled verse bag question.

What bullet do you really want to use? If I were in your shoes I'd be focusing my efforts/time/money on that one bullet for now. Loads with the bullet you want to use at various seating depths, would give me better feedback than comparing multiple types of bullets.

What bullet do you really want to use? If I were in your shoes I'd be focusing my efforts/time/money on that one bullet for now. Loads with the bullet you want to use at various seating depths, would give me better feedback than comparing multiple types of bullets.

I don't know is the problem. Each has its pluses and minus.

I like that the Fusions are cheap and fly good but don't like that type of bullet. The only reason I bought them was for barrel break in. I never would of thought they would shoot the tightest.

I really like the Accubonds for down range energy, penetration, and performance, but that could just be in my head. The post on here with all the critters and stories kind of sold me.

The Berger's appeal to me for distance shooting over the fall and summer. I have a large expanse of field that some coyotes need to learn lessons on if they think about crossing. Those field give me up to 1500 yards of wide open terrain. I will probably never get good enough to shoot that far but my equipment is good enough.

For a youngster, this guy's pretty smart. Very good advice.

If you have any of the hard to chamber ones left, chamber it and then eject it. See if it's the bullet contacting or if it's hitting somewhere else. A magic marker is handy for doing this. That would also give some info to the guy loading them. And yes, I'd probably ditch the leadsled. And there is no inch designator if you are measuring in MOA or vice versa...

IMG_4514_LI.jpg

Here is the photo of the Accubonds, I don't have a way at home to measure them for total length. The one on the Left touches the lands and closes hard, the one on the right closes normal and there are no land marks.

I talked with John at Choice Ammunition about the bullets/ targets and your advice about picking one. After talking goals he said to use the Scirocco. He wanted me to clean the bore of copper and do a reshoot to compare. He thought the bore may of bore fowled with copper causing the large clusters. Here are the results. I don't know much about this bullet. Does anyone have experience with them?IMG_0272.jpg

I used them in a .300 RUM, and a friend of mine has used them in .30-06 since before they became II's. What do you want to know? mtmuley

Good bullets IMO.... a high bc bonded core boat tailed polymer tipped bullet similar to Nosler's Accbond and Hornady's Interbond.

The Scirocco should be a good bullet. An occasional poster here used one in a 260 Rem to harvest a grizzly in AK! IMO, it and the Accubond are kissing cousins and neither would be a bad choice.

I would however send those pics of the Accubond to Choice. That should give them some idea of what length to start seating your bullets as they are obviously a touch too long.

As an aside, I have a 260 Rem that I shoot a 139gr Lapua Scenar out of. I'd have no trouble using that on critters up to deer size and maybe even cow elk. It's done great for me on pronghorn from 60 to 437yds. Just to throw another fly in the ointment... ;)

But, pick a bullet and work with a few different seating depths before starting over with a different bullet.

PS- FWIW, a kit that contains all the equipment besides dies and components to load your own can be had for as cheap as $130 or a bit better kit that'd probably outlast all of us for $280...

Without having your rifle Choice is playing a guessing game on length. Get or borrow a Stoney Point and you will have an actual number. mtmuley

Well I just got off the phone with Legendary Arms Works, they asked me to send it back to them and are sending me a shipping label. The problem is that when using the Norma Brass the bold wouldn't cycle cleanly and would get jammed as the back of the casing tries to slide up the bolt face. In a rapid motion it wont jamb but you cannot use the bolt smoothly. I took and ran the Hornady rounds thru it that were tight and it doesn't do it as noticeable but there are fine burrs on the casing. I was wondering if this was just a break in issue. After talking to them about the group size, the feeding issue, and how the rounds come back with burrs, they wanted to go back thru it and possibly rebarrel it. I will ask their Gunsmith to send the lands length measurement back with it.

BTW I measured those two Accubond rounds and surprisingly the good round measured 2.803 and the tight round measured 2.802 for OAL. I double checked, had my neighbor double check and the one we had troubles with was def smaller OAL than the one that cycled fine.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back