Help me understand these loads

Addicting

I started breaking in a new 6.5 creedmoor today. I ordered a test pack from Choice ammunition and bought a box of 140g Federal Fusions. I find it hard to believe that cheaper factory ammo in a 5 shot group beat custom ammo 3 shot groups. The Nosler 140g would probably be about the same if I had shot 5. All groups were at 100 yards.

The 130g Bergera were seated too far into the lands. It was tight to close the bolt. The 140g closed fine. The Hornadays loaded fine as well. For hose of you with more experience what should be my next step?IMG_0260.jpg

Did you break the barrel in? If so, then stick to the Fusions. If not, then break the barrel in and then test different ammo and see results. A rifle likes what a rifle likes.

And get away from three shot groups. Shoot five. Then, when you get a good five shot, shoot ten. mtmuley

And get away from three shot groups. Shoot five. Then, when you get a good five shot, shoot ten. mtmuley

I only have ten rounds of each. I had only run 10 rounds of fusions thru it prior to this test shoot. I wanted to clean it tonight and reshoot the Fusions and Nosler tomorrow. I will post up a 5 shot of each.

The Bergers surprised me. Normally I would attribute that to breathing but the other groups didn't show it.

They are advertised as a long range hunting bullet and on paper seem to perform well from what research I did. Just not the paper I am shooting at LOL. Funny thing is I bought the Fusions cause they were the cheapest and I wanted to run a box thru the barrel to break it in.

Did they calibrate the jump from the ogive to the lands?

Did I say that correctly mtmuley?

The seat/jump hasn't been measured. They way Choice Ammunition does via mail is find which one shoots the best then you can order that particular bullet at different seated depths to dial in a load. I am not a reloader but do like shooting hand loads. They guy I had that was reloading and helping set up rifles with me moved away.

I forgot to mention this is a Legendary Arms Works Professional with a VX6 being shot out of a led sled.

Choice is not far from my home. The Accubonds show promise, but one three shot group isn't enough. Why not handload yourself? mtmuley

Too many other irons in the fire and I am probably the most impatient guy I know. I figured for the money they charge it was worth it.

Fusions would be my load and its not hard to believe its a very accurate bullet and it might be the best Speer has ever turned out besides the Grand Slam. IMHO. There's nothing wrong with a factory box of ammo in fact these days its quite good. Guess the proofs in the pudding :rolleyes:

Good shooting let us know how those Nosler's shoot!

I would not even mess with Bergers unless you plan to handload. Guarantee they can shoot amazing, but without tuning them specifically to your gun it is unlikely.

I only have ten rounds of each. I had only run 10 rounds of fusions thru it prior to this test shoot. I wanted to clean it tonight and reshoot the Fusions and Nosler tomorrow. I will post up a 5 shot of each.

The Bergers surprised me. Normally I would attribute that to breathing but the other groups didn't show it.

You aren't even broken in yet, what order did you shoot the groups? Here are the first 20 rounds down a barrel, I'd get to at least 50 and see what it likes bit the fusions and accubonds show promise at this point.

20170523_122657.jpg

Back