Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swap hunts?

Name:  IMG_2135.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  26.2 KBName:  IMG_2135.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  26.2 KB

First shooter on camera

I have been swapping bear hunts in Ontario for over 15 years now, with alot of successful killing of different animals. This is the best way to see new places and hunt different species, for the poor average working man without big outfitter fees.

I'm always excited to hunt something new somewhere new, here in Florida you get worn out with the Osceola turkeys, hogs, and gators.

The coyote hunters have been out with their dogs and had some good success already this winter, and my buddies that hunt rabbits with crosspatch hounds have been smoking cottontails and snowshoes.

That would be me a poor average working man!

Quote Originally Posted by skull View Post
    I have been swapping bear hunts in Ontario for over 15 years now, with alot of successful killing of different animals. This is the best way to see new places and hunt different species, for the poor average working man without big outfitter fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbowguy View Post
    That would be me a poor average working man!
    Im with you on this one
    I see you are in up States NY
    My very first swap hunt was in Brookfield NY on a turkey hunt beautiful country

7. Default

I'm another easterner that would be interested in joining a group or individual on a swap hunt. There's not many hunting opportunities here in Connecticut however I've got two good sized fishing boats and would be glad to take a few trips out fishing. We always eat well on our hunts as well. Plenty of seafood!

I have done it and it was great. I had never hunted whitetail and an friend that had never hunted elk. I went to Missouri and shot a doe after very slow buck sightings an missed my one and only opportunity. He came out to Oregon and I took him elk hunting ( cow). He also missed and small opportunity and learned what its like to hunt in the mountains compared to his home Missouri. We both had a great time with the new experiences. We plan to do it again.

I think its a great concept as long as both parties are like minded and interested in trophy hunting. Just having fun and learning new things. For me learning to sit in a stand. I ll take my 3 mile walk into the back-country, and another 3-4 per day, compared to trying to figure out how to climb up in those damn things and sit there.

I'm further north than that by about 2 hours closer to you. I live near the 1000 islands area, I have property near fort drum, north of watertown ny, as well as property in Parishville NY more hilly mountainous country.

Quote Originally Posted by skull View Post
    Im with you on this one
    I see you are in up States NY
    My very first swap hunt was in Brookfield NY on a turkey hunt beautiful country

You bring the fish and lobster and we will hunt and eat good!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster.mike View Post
    I'm another easterner that would be interested in joining a group or individual on a swap hunt. There's not many hunting opportunities here in Connecticut however I've got two good sized fishing boats and would be glad to take a few trips out fishing. We always eat well on our hunts as well. Plenty of seafood!

I'm a lot further away than your friend from MO, but we do have some good whitetail hunting everything from farmland to foothills of the Adirondack mountain hunts. I have hunted them in various ways from old school deer drives to stand hunting. I have access to 2-3 nice camps on both private and public lands. The camps range from out houses to full bathrooms, one with a shower and the other two don't but do have showers close by. two are wood heated and one is propane. Sleeping quarters range from a couch to a bunk room with beds.

I have never hunted elk before so anything will be a treat for me. The physical part of the hunt would be the hardest thing for me, I'm a disabled vet with two bad shoulders and a bad back. However just seeing the country and the animals from a far would be a dream come true.

Quote Originally Posted by belshawelk View Post
    I have done it and it was great. I had never hunted whitetail and an friend that had never hunted elk. I went to Missouri and shot a doe after very slow buck sightings an missed my one and only opportunity. He came out to Oregon and I took him elk hunting ( cow). He also missed and small opportunity and learned what its like to hunt in the mountains compared to his home Missouri. We both had a great time with the new experiences. We plan to do it again.

I think its a great concept as long as both parties are like minded and interested in trophy hunting. Just having fun and learning new things. For me learning to sit in a stand. I ll take my 3 mile walk into the back-country, and another 3-4 per day, compared to trying to figure out how to climb up in those damn things and sit there.

12. Default

I might come up for a weekend and join you Crossbow. It's nice to make a kill but I've always had a good time in deer camp.

Just have to let me know what weekend your coming so I can make the plans with the family. We will set you up nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster.mike View Post
    I might come up for a weekend and join you Crossbow. It's nice to make a kill but I've always had a good time in deer camp.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by wllm1313 View Post
    I think the thing is finding equivalent hunts... my fathernlaw has been trying to swap a hunt on his place in CO for mule deer, with a voucher, for a whitetail deer hunt back east of equivalent caliber of animals... 160+ mulie for potential at a 120+ whitetail but he has never found anyone to play ball. Apparently for how much easterners complain about tags, and access in the west they wont even engage in a conversation about hunting their spot.
    I have excellent deer hunting in Iowa.....if you father in law is wanting to swap a hunt. I would be very interested.

I'm always willing to consider swaps to australia. Currently working away at something with a guy from the states planning on putting him on a fallow buck and sambar stag here, maybe some red stags and a bit of bird hunting and kangaroo culling.

If anyone is interested it's spot and stalk or backpack hunting mostly for the above species and a couple more.

Always open to chatting with blokes about hunting even if it's just advice and not a swap ��

I appreciate the offer but my world traveling days I left behind me in the Air Force, just want to see more of my own country now. If anyone else wants to travel across the pond to hunt in Australia have at it and contact the Aussie Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_hunter_JD View Post
    I'm always willing to consider swaps to australia. Currently working away at something with a guy from the states planning on putting him on a fallow buck and sambar stag here, maybe some red stags and a bit of bird hunting and kangaroo culling.

If anyone is interested it's spot and stalk or backpack hunting mostly for the above species and a couple more.

Always open to chatting with blokes about hunting even if it's just advice and not a swap ��

Still open to swapping hunts within the US. I have plenty of wilderness hunting and fishing to offer. A warm dry place to stay. Open to suggestions! Crossbowguy

I've done a couple of swap hunts now, both have been great. As Glass eye says, the key thing is to go with attitude that you want to experience a different hunt and don't get too hung up on the comparative size of trophies or market values of the two hunts. The big draw for me is the relationship you form with your swap hunt partner, it leads to a much richer experience than just paying a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by AndySmith View Post
    I've done a couple of swap hunts now, both have been great. As Glass eye says, the key thing is to go with attitude that you want to experience a different hunt and don't get too hung up on the comparative size of trophies or market values of the two hunts. The big draw for me is the relationship you form with your swap hunt partner, it leads to a much richer experience than just paying a guide.
    I totally agree Andy! I'm not looking for anything special, just an opportunity to hunt someplace different and see new country.

Name:  2017bear.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  94.4 KBName:  2017eight.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  203.0 KBName:  2017seven.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  197.0 KB
    2017 hunting success on my property

ATTACH]85737[/ATTACH]
    and the neighbor across the road!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

21. Default

I would swap a hunt for a mule deer hunt in a heartbeat....

I really like the idea but I think it works best internationally. It takes an obvious commitment to make it work, and if you're hunting public land, you know the people you're dealing with are unlikely to be in "your spot" opening morning of the next year.

That's a whitetail even though it has forked G-2's

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble View Post
    I would swap a hunt for a mule deer hunt in a heartbeat....

I have 800 acres of Family private land and 300+ acres I own personally.

Quote Originally Posted by vanish View Post
    I really like the idea but I think it works best internationally. It takes an obvious commitment to make it work, and if you're hunting public land, you know the people you're dealing with are unlikely to be in "your spot" opening morning of the next year.

Sorry Crossbowguy, I wasn't referring to you specifically but rather using the indefinite pronoun. It would have been better to say "if one is hunting public land".

But it works here ... say if I was to trade you joining our elk camp for me hunting your farm, I obviously couldn't show up at your farm in the future but there's really nothing preventing you and/or your buddies from hunting exactly where our elk camp is the next year. A lot less risk if there is an ocean between.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast