Wyoming Cow Elk

jabber

Got drawn for cow elk with my old boss, (76 years old) for a unit in south central Wyoming. The season runs from mid October to the end of January. Questioning what would be the best time to go? We will have about a week. The Any Elk season runs from mid October to end of October.

Early season equals a ton of hunting pressure. General areas close to Laramie and Cheyenne means lots of resident hunters during any elk season. Even later in the season, chances are you'll find other hunters. From opening day on through the end of the season everything depends on the weather. Once the snow begins to fly, a lot of the forest service roads can become nearly impossible to pass. Also be aware that WY-70 and WY-130 close for the season in early to mid November. Additionally, there are pockets of wilderness areas that non-residents cannot access without a guide.

I would call the biologist on this one. A lot of the answer to your question hinges on how much access there is on the face of the mountain. Are there HMAs? Or are there large ranches that act like refuges? Since you haven't said which unit, which I totally understand. That's about all that can be said. Sure November and December tend to be better for cows, but if there is no access off the mountain that doesn't do anything for you.

I didn't say the unit not for secrecy, but because I didn't want people thinking I am asking for a spot to hunt. Really just trying to figure out the best time. It is pretty much all checkerboard on the north end & a little more BLM on the south end of it. With that said, 108 south of Rawlins

108 is a crapshoot much of the time if you are not intimately acquainted with the land. Most of the elk are on private until the snow flies and the big herds move down. PM if you want a little more info.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back