Caribou Gear

Idaho Archery Elk 36, 36a or 48.

Badger_55

Trying to find an area to get into some elk early in september. I am wondering if anyone has anything to say about these zones above. I've done a lot of comparing on Go Hunt and Idaho Hunt Planner. Plan on base camping and hiking in with the ponies. Kinda just want to confirm these are decent options before calling the biologists.
Thanks for reading.

I've hunted in all of those units and think they are all good otc for elk. Your success will have more to do with your specific spot than what unit you choose.

Thanks elkmagnet. For some reason 48 has my attention but the harvest numbers and hunter numbers seem to be much more favorable in the 36s. Also have my eye on 29, 30, and 31. My hope is to set up base camp and then ride in with the horses for spike camPs around some vantage points. Any of those units seem suitable for that?

Use GE, find a late summer/early fall aerial (doesn't matter the year), hunt the green areas (grass).

Each has areas that are suitable to hunting like that. Just pick one and put in the map time, then confirm your spots with Google Earth.

I too have researching that area. Especially 36 and 36a. It appears there are only 43 tags that were available in 36 this year. I know they are sold out this year but is that a first come first serve online situation? Any information you guys are willing to share (PMs appreciated) would be much appreciated. I haven't ever been up that way but am hoping to in the next year or two. I understand it's steep country so I figure I better do it while I still can. Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back