PEAX Equipment

Question?

Digital10

I'm not sure if this is the right place or format for this, but this is the only forum I am involved with and participate in. So, if not please forgive me.
I bought into my family's ranch about four years ago. I bought a house that my grandfather and grandmother lived in and the home that my uncles, aunts, cousins, and father built. My family homesteaded this land back in the 1880's while there were still Indians living in the creeks below the home I live in now. This land means a lot to me.
Okay, with that said, I have access to around 8,000 acres of prime deer habitat. In the fall the land is crawling with both Mule deer and Whitetails. I counted about 15 Muley bucks last fall and around 10 Whitetail bucks. I have seen some 200+ Muleys and a few 175+ Whitetail bucks. I get landowner tags which I let friends and family use for the price of the tag. I have had several guides tell me that we have "big money deer" and have offered fair leasing deals. I have declined all of them. However, I have been thinking about selling one tag (archery or rifle) to earn some money.
I have a small one room cabin that I am making into a small "man cave" and would be willing to host one hunt a season.

What would you guys do?
How would you guys handle the situation?

Last edited:
Thats awsome that you are on the family ranch. Better check the laws on selling a hunt. Im sure there are permits or licenses you will need.

First of all congrats on owning the land, secondly I applaud you for not caving into the money trap already. That being said, I am in the ag business and it can get tough so I don't blame you for wanting some extra cash. If you are looking to make some money from people hunting your land I would either sell landowner vouchers if you are in a popular unit or I would lease out the land. I don't think it's worth your time or effort to legally sell one hunt per year and also lodge that person. You can save yourself time, money, and headache by going a different route.

I guess the question is how bad do you NEED the money. Sadly too many things are based on the almighty $ now. If you really need the money that's one thing, but if that income isn't really going to change your life in a positive manner I would suggest not selling hunts and tags. I bet you would feel better about yourself if you went to the local high school and talked with the principal or guidance counselor each year. Ask them for the name of a kid that loves the outdoors but doesn't have a lot of funds or a dad to take him/her. Set up a meeting with his/her parent/s and give them an experience that they will remember for the rest of their lives. You can't put a price on that.

I don't need the money. It would be nice to buy a few extra things and such, but in the end the cash isn't that much of a need. I think I will just sit on it and keep bringing friends out.
We are a part of a group that brings "at risk" youth out to learn about hunting during antelope season....it's hilarious to sit on a hill opening day and watch those kids chase goats from one end of the county to the other...hilarious.

How about selling some trespass fee hunts, that way some outside folks or friends can hunt it without any outfitter duties from you. If you're not using that landowner tag then definitely sell. If you decide to lease make sure you retain some hunting rights for yourself and family or friends.
Good luck to you, sounds like a great deal for you.

Digital10. You and I have a lot in common. Pretty much the same except for the quality of the deer. I understand where you are coming form. One of the most difficult things about hunting season is deciding who gets to hunt. If your place is anything like mine there are far more people that deserve to hunt than you have room for. Making the right choices is not always easy. The last thing you want to do is let some one hunt that doesn't appreciate the privilege or takes advantage of you. Been there done that and it sucks.
The easiest thing to do is to lease to an outfitter. They will regulate the hunters an pay you money on top. If you are only interested in the money or don't care about hunting for yourself or friends and family an outfitter is the way to go. My bet is that you are not one of those landowners. If you were you would not be on this forum. The outfitter option is probably not for you. Far to many outfitters act like they own the place once they lease and my guess is that you are not one that would put up with that for long.
If I was you I would find a way for more youth to experience hunting your land. That is what I often do when a hunting slot opens on our place. Youth hunters are far easier to please.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back