MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

ELD-X 178gr. 300 win. mag.

Millsworks

About to start some loads for my model 70 300 win. mag. and want to try some of the newer Hornady bullets.
Anyone have any experience using these in a load with some Alliant powder?
I was looking at using some R-22 or R-25. Have plenty of those types powder. Mostly have lots of R-22.

I have a modified mag well box to seat the bullets long if needed so coal is flexible.

All my primers are Winchester also.

Thanks for info if you have it.

Looks like 77gr. of Reloader 22 gives 1/2 inch groups at 100yrds., I'll shoot it through the chrony tommorow and later I'll work it out on some distance targets.

Thought I'd post this info if anyone was interested.

You might also give the new Reloder 26 a try. It's working great in my 270 and should also work well in the 300 Win Mag. I also have some of the 178 grain ELD-X bullets to try in my 30/06 but haven't had time yet. Good to hear of the good groups you're getting with them.

Got 9lb. R-22, 6lb. R-17, 6lb. R-15, and 2lb. R-23. I believe the 26 is better suited for heavy for caliber bullets.
I will obviously be trying to use what I have in powder for the time being. The old R-22 has been my go-to in the 300 for a long long time.
I will say I got best results in my 270 with R-17 and 130gr. bullets.
Those 178gr. are a little heavy in the 30-06 in my opinion. They'll work fine but will make knowing distance alot more critical after 200yrds.

Last edited:
Just finished shooting the chronygraph.

Low 3,048
High 3,058

Average of 3,053 looks good to me with only 10 fps deviation.

Got 9lb. R-22, 6lb. R-17, 6lb. R-15, and 2lb. R-23. I believe the 26 is better suited for heavy for caliber bullets.
I will obviously be trying to use what I have in powder for the time being. The old R-22 has been my go-to in the 300 for a long long time.
I will say I got best results in my 270 with R-17 and 130gr. bullets.
Those 178gr. are a little heavy in the 30-06 in my opinion. They'll work fine but will make knowing distance alot more critical after 200yrds.

165 grains work awesome in my 30-06

I agree with the 165gr. choice. It seems to be best balance for hard hitting and flattest projector in the 30-06.
Don't know if Hornady has a 168gr. ELD-X bullet in the works yet,but I think it's likely that would be great in the 06.

Like I said I haven't tried them yet but I'm getting 2,850 fps with 180 grain Sierra's with my 30/06 and its 24 inch barrel. Zeroed at 250 yards that puts it 16 inches low at 400 yards, which is about as far as I'd ever want to shoot. Seems flat enough shooting to me.im not sure a 165 grain bullet would improve on that by more than an inch or two.

A bullets ballistic coefficient will determine how fast it drops.
The ELD-X probably drops less than many other in that weight class.
As long as you know the range and confirm the point of impact at all ranges you plan to shoot, then you can sling 200 grain bullets out of the 06 too.
Long as you like and trust what you use, it is all that matters.

Back