The dumbest argument point you have heard.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Attributed to Mark Twain

edited as the picture was a bit too large... :)

Last edited:
Hired a new kid fresh out of welding school. You cant cut stainless steel with a torch. He was trying like hell to torch some stainless bolts on a truck that we had to take the utility body off of. I tend to let new guus struggle for a bit...see how quick they learn. After a while he brings me a bolt and asks if its stainless. I knew it was but... i felt like messing with him. I looked at it closely, rubbed it clean, smelled it...and finally licked it. Yep, thats stainless. Kids jaw dropped.

4 hours later after not talking to me he asks...."was that a real thing?"

Sigh...have no idea how hard it was saying yes with a straight faced. So if you ever see a kid licking bolts in a hardware store Ill take the blame in that.

I have always been a lifelong Orioles baseball fan. I remember reading an article about the horrid 0-21 start to the 1988 season. After about losing the first 17 or so games they were playing a team at home. The full moon came up shortly after the sunset. One of the Oriole players looked at Cal Ripken youngers brother Billy and asked him "is that the same moon we have in Missouri"? Billy said at that exact moment he knew the O's were in for a long, long, season.

My apologies to any Missourian's, no offense intended.

Hired a new kid fresh out of welding school. You cant cut stainless steel with a torch. He was trying like hell to torch some stainless bolts on a truck that we had to take the utility body off of. I tend to let new guus struggle for a bit...see how quick they learn. After a while he brings me a bolt and asks if its stainless. I knew it was but... i felt like messing with him. I looked at it closely, rubbed it clean, smelled it...and finally licked it. Yep, thats stainless. Kids jaw dropped.

4 hours later after not talking to me he asks...."was that a real thing?"

Sigh...have no idea how hard it was saying yes with a straight faced. So if you ever see a kid licking bolts in a hardware store Ill take the blame in that.

Off topic but funny story.

That reminded me of a Basic Training story I heard from a Drill SGT Friend. So for those of you who haven't been in the military most PVT are scared of their Drill SGTs and really really scared of the 1SG. In the beginning of the cycle my DS friend had his PVTs cleaning the latrines and then the detail was cleaning the bay. The 1SG walked in, the PVTs announced his presence and the DS watched him go in to the latrines. About a 15 passed and there was a tremendous commotion in the Latrines and the 1SG was yelling for the DS to get in here. The DS ran into the latrines and some PVTs followed him. The 1SG Spartan kicked the door to one of the stalls open and started yelling is that shit in my toilets, who in the F didn't clean my toilets. He reached down in the toilet and stuck his finger in it and put it up to his nose, then licked it. Yep shit in my toilets! The nearest PVT passed out and the 1SG got mad and left. The DS didn't know what the hell just happened.

Later that day the 1SG called the DS into his office and told him what he had did. He wanted to mess with and scare the new PVTs to keep them inline. He went into the bathroom and cleaned the toilet really good and took peanut butter in it. He made it look like someone took a crap and didn't flush. He dipped his finger in the Peanut butter and couldn't keep a straight face when the PVT passed out so he had to act mad and leave. The DS said those PVTs started talking about how crazy the 1SG was and the whole cycle they would do anything to not have to go see him.

This guy from Denver walked into the fly shop one day and asked what flies were working on the river. I told him the streamer fishing was on fire. He said he wasn't going to try streamers, I said he ought to, as there were some big fish being caught. We argued about streamers for a minute. He then proceeded to tell me he "couldn't use streamers because they were for kids, and he had grown out of that stage a long time ago". His mom (who was standing next to him) laughed and said "Really?! You're 12, YOU'RE a kid!"

Some doozies here.
Had an expert in the hunting pack section advise me the weight should be on your shoulders and not your hips.Quickly walked away.

An ex girlfriend of my brother's had a real affection for tequila and Marlboro 100s. We were sitting in the backyard on a summer evening and she had about three quarters of the bottle empty and was lighting the next cigarette with the ember of the last one when she gravely warned me not to open the Diet Coke that was in my hands. "That shit gives you cancer," she said.

My grandma and grandpa were watching me one evening when I was in elementary school while dad and mom visited a really sick friend in the hospital. I was working on some geography homework, states, capitals etc. My notoriously hard-headed grandpa came over while I was going over New Mexico. He proceeded to argue with the textbook stating that New Mexico could not possibly be a state because it was a territory. We argued with each other for the rest of the evening, me convinced that the book and teachers were right and papaw that the text book was "corrupting the youth" I didn't realize at the time, but much later, that when papaw (born 1900) was in elementary school, New Mexico WAS still a territory. He lost his parents before he was 12 and started working shortly after. New Mexico officially became a state in 1912, so the last he had learned in school his books were right and mine were wrong. Love ya and miss you grandpa :)

An ex girlfriend of my brother's had a real affection for tequila and Marlboro 100s. We were sitting in the backyard on a summer evening and she had about three quarters of the bottle empty and was lighting the next cigarette with the ember of the last one when she gravely warned me not to open the Diet Coke that was in my hands. "That shit gives you cancer," she said.

That's my kind of woman

That's my kind of woman

She was a doozy. She also drunkly berated my brother when he bought a piece of petrified wood. "That's just a rock. Look at it. It's a rock. You got ripped off."

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back