Caribou Gear Tarp

How old is too old to go on a solo sheep hunt? Or - That's the way a want to go...

I don't know what's too old, I suppose that is on an individual basis. But my take on solo sheep hunting....
It's 10x better to go with the RIGHT people than solo. It's 100x better to go solo than with the wrong people.

I agree totally ^^^^^^

So much of big game hunting is mental. Only you can answer how well you can mentally handle a solo hunt. Why don't you do a trail scout/camp trip this summer solo and see how you do?

for sheep country,northern Nevada should be about as mild as it gets for sheep country,at least its less than 10000 ft,still steep and rocky though,gonna go take a look at it soon.fowl hunter started this thread.

I guess it would depend. Are you going to be Bighorn hunting in Montana or Dall hunting in the Northwest Territories/Alaska. If I was Dall hunting I wouldn't go solo.

I guess it would depend. Are you going to be Bighorn hunting in Montana or Dall hunting in the Northwest Territories/Alaska. If I was Dall hunting I wouldn't go solo.

In Alaska, if your a non-resident to go Dall sheep hunting you have to go with a guide or next of kin.
If your a resident, you may end up shooting a ram and a bear ...tough to pack out solo.
Plus it is easier to pack with gear distributed among 2 backpackers.
(one spotting scope, one stove, one water filter, etc).

I drew my mountain goat tag when I was 50 and I hunted 99% of the time by myself. It was not because I wanted to do it solo, but it was because I could not get other's that had time off from work at the same time and other issues so that it just didn't work out to where I had someone to go with me. I did not fill my tag as it was just a tough year to hunt goats and populations were really down. I only saw one goat in my unit and that was before hunting season even started back in June or early July.

I had an amazing fall hunting and I saw some beautiful country and took many many photographs to remember the time I had back in the wilderness where I hunted. (Selway Bitterroot Wilderness of Montana - Kootenai Creek - near Stevensville) I really wish I would have been able to share my journey at least a few times with someone or a couple folks. It was an amazing time. Yes I did think about what a load of work I had ahead of me if I shot a goat back 13 miles from the trailhead when I was on foot by myself too! I probably could have reached out to one or two people and had someone come and assist because it would have been a tough pack out or two for sure!

It felt could to say I did it myself, but it would have been even better to have been able to share the journey more!

David

I'm knocking on 65 in good shape ( made it on the SWAT team at 55 plus ) I would do a solo hunt in the right area. That being said three of us packed my Dall out of the Alaska range to a airstrip and it was a trek. I think it's a matter of the right area,right equipment and right preparation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back