Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

16A and 16C New Mexico elk

jnel90

Hello, First time posting and logging in here and I feel like I'm asking a lot already for being a newbie but here it goes. I managed to pull a second season archery tag this year in 16A and was looking for a little bit of info. I'm mainly wondering trophy potential (I knew the Gila was famous for big bulls and that the trophy potential is there for some giants) and what to expect for pressure. I have no problem getting away from roads and flat out hunting. I'd also like to see some pictures of some bulls pulled out of these units if anyone has some. If anyone has info on where to start and where not to waste time, I'd also appreciate it. I'm not asking for your best spots or gps coordinates but just maybe a starting point. I live 11 hours away from the unit and am planning on making a couple trips down before the hunt to more so check out the country and find access spots, camp spots, hike and look for rubs and wallows, etc. I put my mom in for 16c first rifle also and as luck would have it she drew it too. So I will be bouncing back and fourth between units on my scouting trips if all goes as planned. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Wow! Congrats on drawing but I'm no help. I'm sure others can give you some tips

I would love to hunt the Gila some day! How many years did you put in? Best of luck you to you two!!!

I'm sure if someone here has a spot in 16A theyd give it to you. The odds are 1.6 for a non resident and 16.4% for residents. So its not likely any second timers are going back anytime soon. The first rifle in 16c is 3.6 for non residents and 8.6 for residents. The 16A archery tag is one of the most expensive if you want to go the landowner route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI9vSFaniy0 This was a 16 A hunt. I'd have a tough time not letting an arrow fly on anything bigger than 330....But bigger is definitely there.

Congrats!

Have been on hunts in 16c past 2 seasons with a friends son. He drew 16c again this year for third year in a row. 2 yrs ago he took a nice 6x6 30 mins into the hunt. Last year was hot and dry, had seen plenty of elk but not to many shooters. Most water holes in 16c will tend to have a lot of pressure. There are some very nice elk, but can be hard to find. Will be a great hunt. We will be there on the second hunt this year.

I've hunted deer a lot in 16A and have seen lots of nice bulls (and not many deer). PM me and I'll share what I know.

Eyeguy,

Kinda a funny deal and never has happened for me. First year applying!

Last edited:
I'm sure if someone here has a spot in 16A theyd give it to you. The odds are 1.6 for a non resident and 16.4% for residents. So its not likely any second timers are going back anytime soon. The first rifle in 16c is 3.6 for non residents and 8.6 for residents. The 16A archery tag is one of the most expensive if you want to go the landowner route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI9vSFaniy0 This was a 16 A hunt. I'd have a tough time not letting an arrow fly on anything bigger than 330....But bigger is definitely there.

Congrats!

That's an awesome bull. I've watched every YouTube video I can find on the Gila ha ha. Honestly I've struggled to keep my finger off the trigger at any opportunity but all but one bull I have shot has been with a bow and I've never had a "good-great" tag so it could turn into a rodeo in a hurry.

Thanks for the info and replies already so far. I attempted to make it down two weeks ago tomorrow and almost 3 hours into the trip I called the FS to make sure they would still be open and that they had the maps that I wanted to purchase. The lady said there were fires and they can be limiting access... I decided to turn around and just order the maps vs. getting there and having to add hours onto the already long solo trip. The maps showed up two days ago and I've been overlooking and found some spots some have shared withe me. (Thank you guys that are willing to share the info.) I will attempt to make another trip in July if allowed but if not, I will make it down in August to hang some cameras and get an idea on potential when the bulls are closer to finished growing. I also plan to be there a week before the hunt starts to really put some miles on and find some elk. I know that where the elk are now more than likely will change come September. Either way it'll be fun and a successful hunt and may even get lucky enough to bring a bull back to Utah. I will keep posting as time goes on and look forward to sharing with you guys.

On a side note, I'm still learning to navigate and reply, etc. on here. So let me apologize now for confusion and lack of simplicity/replies.

Last edited:
Check out the Jay Scott outdoors podcast from a week or so ago they go over all the New Mexico units

Are you referring to 254 by chance? The one Jay was talking with Jeff Lester? My buddy turned me on to podcasts only a week ago and man, I've been missing out ha ha. I have been listening to podcasts non stop since and there is some great info out there I'm realizing in a hurry.

I've hunted 15 which is still pretty awesome. In the off-season it seems like elk is EVERYWHERE. Driving between the road from Datil to Reserve I saw hundreds of them on the side of the highway. However, during my actual hunt I hardly saw any. Long story short, the hunting pressure is real and happens fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back