Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

The last hour

el unit

After finding some fresh bear tracks and scat yesterday morning, I decided to hunt the last two days of the season here in BMU 316. The tracks were about 2-3 miles behind our place up in the dark timber on the north-facing side of the mountain.
At about 7:15 last night, I left the house to go back to still hunt my way up to where the tracks were. Just as I round the corner in our hay meadow we call “The Swamp”, I spot this bear grazing on the east-facing hillside about 10 yards into the National Forest.
The initial sighting was at about 500 yards. I continued along the fence line and closed the distance to 334 yards. Wanting to get closer, I decided to just crawl my way out into the open and close the distance. The next range was taken at 170 yards. At this point, I took off my pack and laid down in the 4 inches of flowing water running thru the hay field. I watched her for about 5 minutes- she was grazing on the grass and was walking all over the hill side while intensely feeding (eating grass, turning over rocks). After confirming no cubs were around, I waited for her to present a shot.
She ended up moving about 20 yards closer before she turned slightly quartering away and moved her front leg forward.
A squeeze from uncle Mike’s 30.06 and she rolled a short distance right down the hill to the meadow. The 165 grain CoreLokt bullet cut the heart in half and she was dead before she stopped rolling.
I was able to video her while she was feeding, and after the shot, but I wasn’t able to video the kill shot as I was laying in water and had no tripod. My iPhone and the ol Bushnell rangefinder are toast from me laying in the swamp water.
After notching the tags, I hiked back home to get the wife, camera, dry clothing/boots, and atv to haul it out.
Pulled the trigger at about 7:30 pm and was back to the house with the bear by 9:30.
Of course I left my pack at home when we went back, so I field dressed her using my Leatherman.
Leaving in 2 hours for the seal at MTFWP and then off to the taxidermist!
Apologies for the pictures on their side- I cannot figure out how to keep that from happening!

Attachments

• DSC02813.jpg
    DSC02813.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 553
  • fullsizeoutput_4ea.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_4ea.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 569
  • DSC02816.jpg
    DSC02816.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 555
  • DSC02835.jpg
    DSC02835.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 566
  • DSC02842.jpg
    DSC02842.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 555
That's awesome, way to stick it out until the bitter end!

I have a hard time making myself go out once the calendar flips to June.

Are you guys seeing much for flooding? I imagine the Big Hole is one giant lake right now?

That's awesome, way to stick it out until the bitter end!

I have a hard time making myself go out once the calendar flips to June.

Are you guys seeing much for flooding? I imagine the Big Hole is one giant lake right now?

It looks like there is some standing water along the Big Hole in quite a few hay fields. The water on the Wise River is higher than it's been in a few years but no significant flooding.

Thanks for the replies. Here's a picture of the bear (and his track) I was hunting on evening of June 14th. I think he's been around this area for a few years.
Also, a couple more pics from last year of what I think is the same bear.
The game warden and taxidermist estimated this year's blonde bear at 8-10 years old.
The old iPhone 4 and Bushnell rangefinder are working fine after 10 days of drying out.

Attachments

• WGI_0007.jpg
    WGI_0007.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_3854.JPG
    IMG_3854.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 294
  • MFDC4838.jpg
    MFDC4838.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 286
  • MFDC4839.jpg
    MFDC4839.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 298
beautiful bear. You doing a full mount or a rug? I've always wanted a bear rug but not sure the wife would go for it.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back