Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wyoming moose 2,30-1

grizlee310

Well guys and gals, I finally did it! After 22 years I drew my moose tag! :hump: I've been in the Lander area quite a few times and have learned some of the area. Such beautiful country! I've been going over the area on Google Earth and OnX maps dozens of times! I've researched what I can on the inter-webs about moose, but I was wondering what some of you folks might know about these beautiful creatures. When's the best time to hunt moose? Best method of sizing a mature bull "on the hoof"? Archery or rifle?
I've spoken with the local G&F warden about a lot of things. One, which surprised me, was no grizzlies in the area! He said they'd get an occasional young boar to come into there every 3-5 years, keep and eye on it, and then it'd disappear. Never a sow with cubs. Any locals experience griz in that country? Plenty of black bear and wolves, which excites me. He also mentioned that the moose have been having a rough go as of late, hence combining areas 2 & 30. Each area was issued 5 tags in the past, but due to habitat loss, wolves, and winter ticks, the G&F combined the areas and dropped tags for both areas to 5 tags. So, that wasn't very encouraging to hear. But I have seen moose in there, so there's hope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back