Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

CO unit 54 access

huntbrain

Hey everyone, Newbie here.

I'm going on my first elk hunt this year in unit 54. I will be hunting early to mid September, and have 8 days to hunt. I have been doing a ton of research and taking in everything I can on the elk101 online course. I have spent hours looking at maps and planning my adventure. I will be flying in for the hunt and renting a vehicle for the duration of my hunt. my question is: Will an AWD SUV get me to the trailheads, or will I need a 4WD truck. I can get an SUV for about $300 less than a truck, but it does me no good if I can't get where I need to go.

An all wheel drive SUV will get you into 90% of the places plus September you won't have to worry about a lot of snow. No sure how far you are traveling but you might want to consider driving vs flying. Flying an elk back in coolers is expensive. I fly on deer and antelope hunts because I can do it cheaper than driving but elk and bigger game I drive.

Great, Thank you. I live in NC and travel a lot for work. I will be doing this hunt between work trips in NY an CA. I plan on shipping the elk back if I were to get one. I know it wont be cheap, but I would rather spend the money on shipping than to not go elk hunting!

Huntbrain,

We have the same GMU but I will be hunting late OCT, 2nd Rifle Season. I managed to get an Elk Cow Tag in the drawing and will get an Over The Counter (OTC) Elk Bull Tag for same season this year. This will be my first time going into GMU 54. Just like you I have done tons of research and will continue to collect more information. Just like REDMAN stated, as long as you had an AWD vehicle, during that time, you will be able to drive on those serviced roads to most of the trails.

Serviced_Roads_GMU54.jpg

Trails_GMU54.jpg

I'm Using OnXMaps via my Smart Phone instead of GPS.

I’m not sure what the Elk101 Online Course provides but if you have not follow Randy Newberg, you should visit some of the below videos via YouTube. FREE information and Randy at side from the Hushin channel are great providers of information and real public hunt videos.

(DIY hunting) Randy Newberg's ELK TALK "SYSTEM" for finding public land elk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZjhYLafB48

Hunting with Randy Newberg - How to; E-Scouting (Part 1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Z_NClt88Q

Randy Newberg Gunnison, Colorado episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvryXJhAEuI&index=4&list=PLLdxutimd-JuVK3J_Tir9GTx90QMzlfO6

Since you will be going there a month before me, I’m interested in any feedback from you regarding potential areas with any Elk. Thanks for your time and let me know if you have any other questions. By the way, are you going to be hunting public or private land? That way, other members can provide more info. I'm going with a group of 3, hunting public land. Have a great day.

V/R,
ColoradoHunter719

Hunted there a few years ago and if you plan on going mid September, don't look at where the elk were all summer bc the outfitters and early archery guys will have them pushed out. Your best bet is to cut them off between the summer locations and the private land that they are headed too!! Good Luck.

I've been up soap creek road 721 several time. If you get any rain and you don't have 4x4 and chains your in for the ride of your life. The outfitter that is at the end of the road (eagle mountain outfitters) requires all clients to have 4x4 and chains. Trust me, I run a Ram 1500 with a leveling kit and have gouges in my frame from the road. The biggest obstacle is Jeep hill. You test your low end torque on it. (youtube it). the rocks have cut my tires before also.

I'm going in to soap Creek road this year for the first time. We've bought chains for all 4 tires for my Titan. The road looks legit.

I've been up soap creek road 721 several time. If you get any rain and you don't have 4x4 and chains your in for the ride of your life. The outfitter that is at the end of the road (eagle mountain outfitters) requires all clients to have 4x4 and chains. Trust me, I run a Ram 1500 with a leveling kit and have gouges in my frame from the road. The biggest obstacle is Jeep hill. You test your low end torque on it. (youtube it). the rocks have cut my tires before also.

Just curious if the leveling kit on your Ram allows for chains on the front? How much lift on the front?

Thanks for the responses guys.

ColoradoHunter719, Those were the roads I was referring to! I do follow Randy's YouTube channel, and have seen those videos in the past, but will watch them again, thanks. I will be hunting September 5th-12th, solo, on public land.

I have hunted Soap Creek numerous years in a row. The best advice I can give is:
- Chains are good and glad you got them.
- Jeep Hill is north and south facing. This means on any given day you could have the north side which will most likely be semi frozen and snow covered, since it doesn't see sunlight, and the south side which can be a sloppy, muddy mess, because it receives direct sunlight basically all day.
- The best success we have had getting back out has been between the hours of 3-7am. Both the north and south side will frozen and much more manageable.
- Bring a saw. I know it's probably not feasible to just buy one, but even a hand saw ($20) could save your ass. I have used my chainsaw to clear the road almost every time I've been back there.
- If you go late seasons, 2nd and later, then you could have completely dry conditions and then 2' of snow before the season ends. If snow is in the forecast, consider it greatly before you pass jeep hill. I have abandoned the northern section just because of this and was still successful. Elk will move south if it snows. Let them come to you.
Have fun and get in shape. Its steep, totally doable, and beautiful.

Thanks BrokenArrow. I just watched a YouTube video of Jeep Hill, and that was impressive. I could see where a little snow could make that a real ordeal!

Ask the rental agency to include tire chains. If you get monsoon rains in Sept, it can get muddy and slick.

Just FYI for folks thinking about same - none of the major US rental companies will provide/rent chains and, beyond that, putting chains of your own on their vehicle is a violation of their rental agreements (i.e. you'll be liable for any damage, real or imagined).

It's caused some consternation in areas (particularly the Pacific NW and around Yosemite) where chain laws are enforced on non-commercial vehicles in certain places and timeframes.

no, I had to get spacers made and run them. That is the only thing I dislike about my 1500. But it runs great and its the 4.7L

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back