Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

More Point Cheapening/Outfitter Welfare

I wonder how many guys fall into the 30 points and over 65? I could see most of the permits going to those guys.

I have not been able to find any detailed info on the Maine draw process. Sure, they list number of tags issued per unit, and I have seen a couple figures of total residents/NR applicants. Seems like a black box.

Is there any more specific data available similar to what is typical for the draws in the western states? I.e., number of applicants at each point level, number of NR choices purchases, mean/median number of choices per NR applicant. Any of that would be interesting. I would think that data could be FOIA'ed if not published by the state.

I know your chances of drawing a sheep tag out west are much much better if that tells you anything. Hunting fool has had the best numbers I've seen so far in their yearly Maine section. Don't quote me but if memory serves me right 2016 for NR was something in the neighborhood of less than 300 tags available over 13,000 applicants and here's the real kicker bought over 300,000 chances. Figure those odds up.

The northeast moose populations are cratering anyway; they already have in NH and VT. Maine will be next. Those populations live at the extreme southern edge of their preferred boundary and are more susceptible to any shifts in the ecosystem.

It's not much more money and less hassle to go up to Newfoundland and shoot a moose there.

Back