Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Thermacell Backpacker

Not sure about that one, but the regular thermacells work great. It is a must have for turkey or early deer hunting around here. Keeps mosquitoes away. I"M A BELIEVER!!

The regular themacells are the best portable thing I have ever used for keeping mosquitoes away. There are some propane powered units that cover a larger area but use a lot more fuel. I had to buy a new thermacell unit this year because I finally wore out the ignighter on the old one after 11 years. They work great.

I just got one of these this past April and used it for a backpack fishing/turkey hunt. It worked great and is extremely lightweight. Well worth it if you hunt in an area with alot of bugs. It barely leaves a scent and runs forever on a fuel canister

I picked one of the backpacker models up.
It says in the packaging that perfermance may be affected above 10k ft. Tired it at 10k+ and sure enough it doesn't work at all. Couldn't even get it to work at home at 4500. Going to take it back and get one of the original units.

I picked one of the backpacker models up.
It says in the packaging that perfermance may be affected above 10k ft. Tired it at 10k+ and sure enough it doesn't work at all. Couldn't even get it to work at home at 4500. Going to take it back and get one of the original units.

They are really hard to see if it's lit or not, I didn't think mine was on at first until put it in a shadow to look for the orange glow

They are really hard to see if it's lit or not, I didn't think mine was on at first until put it in a shadow to look for the orange glow

Yeah I tried in the dark both places. Might just exchange it today. Maybe I got a Friday just before quitting time unit?

I got one just couple weeks ago, have only used on the deck at home. Works as the original units do, no issues with mine. Is very lite weight, I'd pack it in if you have the need. I ordered it cuz I have a crap load of jet boil fuel canisters, and I'm a gear junkie too.

They do not work at altitude. No model I have tried will work here at 7,200 ft and above.
Maybe a newer model but I wouldn't count on it . Wish they did though, deer flies, mosquitoes and biting gnats are all pretty common before the first freeze in the mountains.

Did a scouting trip in Co last weekend and wishing I had something as the mosquito's where horrible. I have a regular unit and love it and was thinking of picking up the backpacker model but after reading the posts here I don't think I will since I would be looking at 10,500 to 11,500 for use.

Anybody found a cheaper source for the pads? I've seen where people buy the Coughman's mosquito coils that have the same active ingredient but I haven't tried them. I have refilled the canisters though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back